Solifidian

Small Bag (Purse/handbag) For My Daughter

Hi all,

I've benefitted a lot from reading the many posts on these forums, and thought I would post some pics of my first major project. This is a bag for my daughter (she tells me it is not a handbag!), inspired by various designs I found on the web. It has a few mistakes and is a bit rough in places, but was a very enjoyable and satisfying experience.

It was made from the pieces I found in the scrap bin at the local leather place, so I had to join a couple of pieces together to make the strap. The inside is lined with suede, and that was pretty cheap too. All in all it was a very inexpensive project. I think the hardware ended up costing more than the leather!

My next major project, all going well, is to make a backpack out of kangaroo leather. Although considering how long it took to make this one, that may be a few years away!

Daniel.

post-61569-0-06530500-1449019247_thumb.j

post-61569-0-32745100-1449019248_thumb.j

post-61569-0-29595700-1449019249_thumb.j

post-61569-0-33899200-1449019250_thumb.j

post-61569-0-27646300-1449019251_thumb.j

post-61569-0-30072800-1449019252_thumb.j

post-61569-0-82257700-1449019254_thumb.j

post-61569-0-81962900-1449019255_thumb.j

That looks amazing!!! Looks perfect to me. What a cool design. I rather see a little rough places that are handmade rather than machine made any day.

Looks great! Wow that was a lot of sewing!

Looks super to me ! The overall design "Especially the front" is to my eye, very appealing ! Wild Bill46

Very good effort, especially made from scraps! The one critism I have is that the strap is a bit too "chunky" for the size bag. A narrower strap would be more in proportion. Lucky daughter!

Cheers,

Lois

Very well done! One suggestion if I may, next time try beveling the inside edges that get sewn at 90 deg to each other. Then burnish with Gum Tragacanth. This will smooth up those edges nicely. Great hand sewing also.

Nice job!

Very good effort, especially made from scraps! The one critism I have is that the strap is a bit too "chunky" for the size bag. A narrower strap would be more in proportion. Lucky daughter!

Cheers,

Lois

Good suggestion, thanks! I hadn't even thought of that.

Very well done! One suggestion if I may, next time try beveling the inside edges that get sewn at 90 deg to each other. Then burnish with Gum Tragacanth. This will smooth up those edges nicely. Great hand sewing also.

This is something I will have to try for the next one. Still working out some of the finer details!

And thanks for all the other encouraging comments too. My daughter has already received a couple in the week since she has been using it :)

Daniel.

Do you have a pattern for this purse?  Have some young family members wanting purses.

I'm afraid not. I drew it up on paper, then cut it out of cardboard, and tweaked it as I went. No digital versions sorry!

Great job. Keep up the great work!