CenricVig

Swivel Knives ?

Ok,

I am looking at picking up another swivel knife and I would like to get input on what everyone thinks about

Craft tool Pro Swivel Knife - Small: 3/8" (9.5 mm) diameter barrel with a 1/4" (6.3 mm) wide angle detail blade. $75

Berry King - Small: 3/8" diameter barrel with a 1/4" wide angle detail blade. $50

SK-3 Custom Swivel Knife by Leather Wranglers $150

I have the Craftool Swivel Knife Deluxe Adjustable now and would like to get a smaller detail knife but also an upgrade.

I know that there may be other knifes out there and I would like to hear about them as well. What are peoples thoughts on the above knifes and have or do you use them now or in the past, what do you like or dislike about them?

Thanks for you help and information.

Edit - I guess this should have been put in the tools section, if a mod can move if needed cool!

Edited by CenricVig

Well, I own just a few SKs. For the money, you cannot go wrong with a Barry King SK. Some of the top makers are Paul at Leather Wrangers, Bob at Pro Series Tool (Black Crack), Chuck Smith's Ol' Smoothie, Clay Miller at CM Tools & Leather. I hear that Bearman (a member here) is making SKs now though I do not own one yet.

Now there have been a lot of threads on here about SKs. You can search the forum using the section at the top right corner.

In my opinion, it all depends on your level and what leathercraft means to you. Is it a hobby or a business? If you are just moving up slowly, you could be fine with just upgrading your blade from one of the makers above. I think Barry King offers the most affordable blade upgrade at about $15 and he makes them for Craftool SKs. There are some other companies that offer middle of the road SKs. Seiwa, CraftJapan, Kyoshee Elle, and several other sellers that can be located through your local leather craft supply store. This should help you make the appropriate decision.

Good luck!

In my favorite order:

• Robert Beard/Pro Series Tools 505-632-7039

• Henley Manufacturing 318-631-3545

• Barry King Tools 307-672-5657

• Weaver Leather 800-932-8371

• Lonnie Height/ Gomph-Hackbarth Tools 520-642-3891

• Paul Zalesak/Leather Wranglers 505-269-8563
• McMillen Tool Company 573-374-7880

• Chuck Smith Tools 760-749-5755

• C.S. Osborne 973-483-3232

• Tandy Leather Factory 817-872-3200

Art

Plus One for Lonnie Height/ Gomph-Hackbarth Tools 520-642-3891. He custom cut (shortened) a 5/8" barrel knife which has been my go-to for years, and Lonnie is a good a guy as you'll ever deal with.

Edited by Mike Craw

Thank you all for the information, I will do a bit more researching on the forums and take a look around at the other SK makers above.

Thanks for the input electrathon. ;)

I agree that the Barry King and the Weaver Leather are the best for the money, being pretty much the same knife. However these things are very personal, what one person or the other likes, may not be your cup of tea, and the style you may like for one blade, may not be the same for another. I recommend that you go to one of the major shows (Sheridan, Wickenburg - back in the community center this year, IFoLG, Wichita Falls, Pendleton) and try out all the knives there. It is really a matter of what YOU like.

Art

Art,

What you say is very true. For the cost of me driving to Wichita Falls or any out of state event, I could buy three/four SK 1each form the different makers to try out. For now I believe I will go with BK as the cost is still less then Craftool, but not as much as the others. Also like many have said on other post on this topic, I will over time acquire more then one or two SK for my crafting. Thank you for your time and input. ;)