JamesR

Trimming Gussets Flush

What would be the best tool for trimming gussets flush with the side of a bag.

I know they can sanded but I find sanding does not work to well with latigo.

I wondering if a sharp french edger would be the best tool?

What do you think.

Jim

Perhaps a Bisonette edger. I use them to trim and level the stitching allowance on rolled handles and interior seams.

I've also wondered this. I would try stitching one end flush. Stitch all the way around both bottom corners until you are nearly all the way done, 2 or 3 cm left, mark the end with a 90 degree ruler.

It is common for bags to be made with alignment notches or alignment marks (on the leather or leather edge). 3 marks per corner, 1 center mark at the middle of bottom piece, 1 centering mark for each side . The alignment marks make sure that the leather will lay evenly allowing a perfect match.

Thank you for the replies

I have a Bisonette but it rounds the edge. I was thinking more of getting the two layers flat.

The alignment marks sound like a good idea.

While we are talking about gussets do you glue them as a temporary measure to keep them aligned for

stitching or do you expect the glue line to be more permanent. I always assumed it was for alignment but was recently informed that it prevents the two layers from opening up on the edge.

Edited by JamesR

Yes, that helps mostly with getting a nice edge. Not that I've got nice edges... but I hear it's possible...