NoPleather

Need Help! Can't Solve Cowboy Stitching Issue...

I have been busy with other projects, given the Christmas break provides opportunity for me to get a lot done. I did sew on it earlier this afternoon and oil ran all over the leather, but no matter--it was a sample piece. It is laying down very well and I plan to sew some books tomorrow. It could have been a combination of things, bad thread, a possible bur on the foot that would catch the fuzz on the thread, poor adjustments and in need of a more thorough oiling. I don't know which one or all.

I do know that he completely re-routed my thread and it seems to run smoother. The more places you run it through, the more opportunity there is for problems.

Oil dripping down on the first bit of stitching is normal. I leave 3-4 layers of canvas clamped under the foot to collect it when i leave my machine for a while. Always thrown a few stitches into some scrap before putting in your prized project if the machine has been sitting. If it has been sitting, and the foot is dry, you should probably oil it.

Would you mind showing us the new path that the machine has been threaded with? Thanks in advance,

YinTx

Sure, let me post it up tomorrow. Tough day at work today.

Where would a guy find this "factory" instruction?

No clue. But as another poster stated; there are a thousand ways to thread these machines. I have seen several myself.

Oil dripping down on the first bit of stitching is normal. I leave 3-4 layers of canvas clamped under the foot to collect it when i leave my machine for a while. Always thrown a few stitches into some scrap before putting in your prized project if the machine has been sitting. If it has been sitting, and the foot is dry, you should probably oil it.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate the tip--will do.

I had some time to enjoy my hobby last weekend and knocked out about 8 book covers through 9 oz leather (doubled-up) without as much as a hesitation. It ate it up. I am very pleased with the operation.

I'll explain then show pictures when I get home.

The thread guide on the top of the machine he removed. He didn't trust me not to use it, so he took it off. So now the thread runs from the spool, through the first thread guide, but then wraps around the first pressure guide twice. From there it appears to be standard threading like Bob suggests in his video, but I'll post anyway.

I did some pretty heavy searching on how to thread and adjust these machines, and there is several ways to run the thread. I my opinion, whatever works for you, works for you. Getting the precise pressure to get the machine to work properly sometimes requires some creativity and diligence. And that is something Alexander has down--He is in tune with the machines.

Something I noticed; the thread moves through the machine very smoothly. I believe this is primarily due to the crappy thread Alexander had me throw in the trash. It had fuzzy spots and would catch anything that my be protruding from and eye, guide, needle, whatever. The smoother the thread, the fewer your problems. I saw a nice piece from the "Wiz" about thread, and where to buy it and the type he recommends--I'm going that route.

Edited by NoPleather

I wanted to add, Alexander slowed the motor down to possibly its slowest setting, and that's ok. But I will likely speed it up just a tad, as the motor on my Cowboy seems to stumble; either on or off, but no ramp-up speed, and that bothers me a little bit. My motor appears to lack crisp speed control, it's "chunky" in its operation. I recall Alexander mentioning something about it as well, suggesting it may need another motor. I may follow-up with him on that.

I wanted to add, Alexander slowed the motor down to possibly its slowest setting, and that's ok. But I will likely speed it up just a tad, as the motor on my Cowboy seems to stumble; either on or off, but no ramp-up speed, and that bothers me a little bit. My motor appears to lack crisp speed control, it's "chunky" in its operation. I recall Alexander mentioning something about it as well, suggesting it may need another motor. I may follow-up with him on that.

Is your speed reducer on the smallest pulley or on the middle? My 5100 came setup on the middle setting, not the lowest. It would do the same thing when slowed down. The motor did not like the slowest setting. It felt like i had 3 speeds slow, slower and slowest. As soon as I sped the motor up a couple of notches I would lose my slow speed.

When I got a belt to fit the speed reducer on its slowest setting, I was able to turn up the motor speed and get rid of the notchyness. I can now sew slower, and faster at the same time with much smoother speed changes, if that makes sense.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Interesting question. It's a little cold here today and while my garage is somewhat temperature controlled, it's still cold. I'll take a pic.

My problem is that the pedal has no control over the speed; it's either going or not. Hang on...

Hi Guys, This is Alexander from Solar Leather Machines, in Arlington, Texas.  We're just outside of Dallas.  We're the only Cowboy Dealership West of the Mississippi.  

There are lots of ways to route the thread on 4500 machines, for sure.  However, it's important to use the same method that was used when the thread was balanced.   If your technician balanced the bobbin thread with one path, and you change it, the thread tension might be way off.  The method that cowboy recommends is shown in our videos here:   http://www.solar-leather.com/supporthelp/

I do make "house calls" within a reasonable distance. 

Alexander