Up till now I've used water or Eco-Flo burnishing gum on leather. Then while looking for better products I came across Seiwa leathercraft tokonole burnishing gum. It's from Japan and looks more like white glue than a clear gel. It's much easier to apply and provides very quick results. 1 application is enough and it leaves a very even coat and color after burnishing. It's especially fast when you are trying to burnish a large area. I've noticed in Asia that this is the preferred product used by most leather professionals. Has anyone else in this forum tried this product before? I'd be curious of what you think?

Anyways, if you are looking for a better solution for burnishing, give this one a try. I'm sold!

I'm in Japan and you're right, Tokonole is the preferred burnishing compound over here. I use it on the flesh side and on most of my edges. Great product, burnishes up nicely and holds up well over time.

I haven't looked for it but is it available in the U. S. ?

To answer some questions:

You can get it at goodsjapan.com or leathercrafttools.com. It also comes in black and brown in addition to clear.

Personally, I use a wood slicker and/or canvas for edges and glass for burnishing the flesh side. I get the best results when I let it dry and become more gummy for a few minutes before burnishing.

I have been looking for more information on tokonole, but this appears to be the only thread on it in the forums.  Has anyone else tried this product over the last year?

On 12/12/2015 at 9:25 PM, victorl said:

To answer some questions:

You can get it at goodsjapan.com or leathercrafttools.com. It also comes in black and brown in addition to clear.

Personally, I use a wood slicker and/or canvas for edges and glass for burnishing the flesh side. I get the best results when I let it dry and become more gummy for a few minutes before burnishing.

Could you show us a picture of the tool you use to burnish the flesh side please? I'd like to try that.

I use it for burnishing and I like it but it's the only brand that I have tried so I can't compare. It's for sale on ebay.

Just look up glass slicker.

10 hours ago, geargarcon said:

I have been looking for more information on tokonole, but this appears to be the only thread on it in the forums.  Has anyone else tried this product over the last year?

Ian Atkinson has a review on this stuff I THINK. I know he uses it now instead of gum trag. And gets it through goods Japan.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Ian's video...

https://youtu.be/zyTg_hfpNUM

I've watched that video but I don't think he uses the tokonole in it.  I just skimmed through it again and don't seem to see the product.  Do you know what minute marker he uses it?  Also, I'm interested in it as a burnishing agent, not a finish - so any first hand experience with it as a burnishing agent would be greatly appreciated.

Ian shows the Seiwa finish in this video, about 18 or 19 minutes in.  I'm pretty sure it's what is now called Tokonole.  I've used it and like it!

Bill

28 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Ian shows the Seiwa finish in this video, about 18 or 19 minutes in.  I'm pretty sure it's what is now called Tokonole.  I've used it and like it!

Bill

Thanks for that.  Do you use the clear one?  Any experience with the colored ones?  What advantages do you feel this has over water or glycerine soap as a burnishing agent?

When I bought, clear was all that they had.  It seems to do a good job, although I do sometimes use water/glycerine/beeswax still at times.  The Seiwa seems to seal the edge so that it doesn't readily accept dyes - but it does do a nice job.  Worth a try for sure!

Bill

30 minutes ago, billybopp said:

When I bought, clear was all that they had.  It seems to do a good job, although I do sometimes use water/glycerine/beeswax still at times.  The Seiwa seems to seal the edge so that it doesn't readily accept dyes - but it does do a nice job.  Worth a try for sure!

Bill

Thanks for the info.  Aside from sealing it, do how do your results differ between the water/glycerine/beeswax approach compared to the tokonole?  Why do one vs the other?

I use this one. I bought it from Tandy. I like it!

Glass slicker.htm

21 hours ago, geargarcon said:

Thanks for the info.  Aside from sealing it, do how do your results differ between the water/glycerine/beeswax approach compared to the tokonole?  Why do one vs the other?

The Tokonole looks more glass-like, while saddlesoap-beeswax is still shiny it's not quite as much.  If I want to dye the edge with tokonole, the dye needs to go on first and can get pretty dark, but it works.  And sometimes the choice comes down to what is close at hand and my mood at the time!

Bill