SantaFeMarie

What Is The Best Way To Attach Beadwork Strip To Belts/hat Bands

I'm designing some pieces that incorporate loomed beadwork strips into hat bands and belts. What is the best method for attaching the beadwork? I found a YouTube video that advocated using a sewing machine to make a hole pattern in the leather, then handstitching the beadwork strips using a whip stitch - the needle going into the holes made by the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkqwROOr8bg

I'm OK with that, but I thought I'd see if the hive mind could do better!

I embroider my beadwork straight into the leather of my mittens and mocasins.  You should be able to stitch through the leather and lock your beading down to the hat. 

Almost a year late to the conversation, but what I've always done is I sewed my beadwork straight to some light weight pig skin, making the pig skin backer about  the width of the belt and about 1 1/2" to 2" longer on each end of the beaded section, and then I sandwhich the belt together with like two 6 oz pieces of leather, having a window cut out for the beaded section.  So the pig skin will end up being sewn between the two sandwhiched pieces of leather that makes up the belt and the beaded section doesn't go anywhere.