cburton

Not Sure Which Machine Is Best

Hi, I am new to the forum and wondering what sewing machine to buy...Techsew 2750, Cowboy 227R, or a used Consew 227. I have never used a leather sewing machine (only my home husquvarna that I am wearing out). I make purses, bags, wallets, journals, etc... things like this. I also tool on 4-5oz leather and then (hand) sew that onto the bag. It is my understanding that any of the above machines will do what I'm needing, I'm just not sure which one to buy. It's a huge purchase and I want to get the right one. Thanks!!

The Seiko built 227 is probably the best quality as it was originally built but then it could be up to 30 years old and has been run to death in industry

Between the Cowboy and Techsew it is more a matter of who is closest to offer ongoing support. Both are good dealers

The 2750 is a large bobbin machine whereas the 2700 / 227R is a standard bobbin size. The Consew 227 does not have reverse. Any of the above mentioned machines would be suitable for making purses, bags, wallets, journals and other leather goods. You may want to consult the dealers selling them to compare the differences between the machines.

cheers!

Ron

A larger bobbin comes with a correspondingly larger arm (diameter); not an advantage/disadvantage in my kind of work, but in some things it can be. If a dealer has a bunch of Consew 227s, he probably bought a factory closedown or changeover. Unless the dealer has a track record for good refurbs, inspect VERY carefully. Give preference to the dealer you are close to.

Art

A larger bobbin comes with a correspondingly larger arm (diameter); not an advantage/disadvantage in my kind of work, but in some things it can be.

Art

In most cases yes but our large bobbin 2600 has a more narrow arm diameter (1-7/8") than the small bobbin 2700 / 227 (2.5").

Ron

Thanks for the help! The Consew is a used one from an individual who is selling it. I have not been to see it or test it out, so I have no idea of the condition or what comes with it. He says he has $800 into it, but could sell it for a little less. As for the dealers...I live in Oregon, so I'm pretty far from both the Techsew and Cowboy dealers (unless there are ones closer, I am unaware of?) I'm leaning towards the Techsew 2750...

The most dangerous tree in the forest is a leaner, chop that puppy down and order the Techsew, you'll love it.

Art

I'm trying to spot the difference between the Techsew 2700 and 2750. Is it that the 2750 has a longer maximum stitch length (9mm vs. 5mm for the 2700) and a larger bobbin?

Correct.

Art, I like that saying! The Techsew 2750 Pro has the needle positioner and the laser guide, do these seem like useful features? Have any of you used them? thanks again for all your help!

That and you lose 1/2 inch in arm length. But on closer examination, it is a little different machine, and without it in front of me, I can't figure the clone base or manufacturer. If you change stitch lengths a lot, the 2750 will be able to set faster and somewhat more repeatable. Is it worth $300 more, you're the only one who can determine that.

Art

Art, I like that saying! The Techsew 2750 Pro has the needle positioner and the laser guide, do these seem like useful features? Have any of you used them? thanks again for all your help!

I like a good needle positioner or a smaller machine, but is it necessary? No. I haven't used a laser guide, like all things, nice to have, necessary? No. Good lighting is a very great help. If I was buying it, I'd probably get the laser guide just to see if it is any good, then I would be biased forever. You can get to very much depend on a good needle positioning motor, when you tell them to stop, it is like right now. Just make sure that your machine can go slow, slow is good with leatherwork; if you sew all day, then eventually fast isn't fast enough, but slow can never be slow enough, especially sewing up to a dee or buckle.

Art