big dave

Timing An Adler 169-373

Can any one help me with how to do the timing on the 169

The Adler 169 Service manual would be a good starting point. I'd compare the machine to the target settings to see which ones are off the mark and need adjustment. Then you follow the manual to make those adjustments.

Edited by Uwe

You can also watch my timing video for the Adler 67 to get a rough idea of what's involved. Despite the 67 being a flatbed machine with a small bobbin, you'll recognize many details on your Adler 169. The hook design (and timing adjustment) is nearly identical to your Adler 169. Your hook timing spec calls for a needle rise of 2mm (instead of the 1.75mm in the video). Between the video and manual, you should get there most of the way.

Edited by Uwe

Thank you for that I have seen the video and it's very good but there does not seem to be a safety clutch on mine . I can get the timing right but it has slipped a few times as if the bobbin holder has missed two cogs . I am very new to leather and sewing so forgive my wording

The 169 service manual that you show has the bobbin case at the side where as mine is top loading as seen in the parts manual so that is how I'm lost

Post some pictures of your machine, including close-ups of the hook area and the nameplate. We need to know what you actually have to figure out what might be wrong. Use the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right to see file upload options.

Hmmm, the German and English versions of the Adler 169 service manuals don't match. I always look at the German version by default, and it is the correct one in this case. The English version is really for the Singer 169, which has a different hook design (more like the Adler 69).

On the plus side, the Adler 169 German/English USER manual, my timing video (just the hook area), and the parts list diagram, and your machine all match up nicely. Ignore the Adler 169 English Service manual - it's just the wrong one.

If your timing slips easily, it may be because the cone gear that sits on the horizontal hook driving shaft is not tight enough (the one I loosen/tighten in the video). Or it is because something binds strongly or hitting something, causing things to shift. Simply tightening down that gear may not solve the root cause. Something slipping is a better failure mode than something breaking. Raise the pressure foot with manual flip lever, remove thread&material and remove driving belt. Your machine should now turn over very smoothly and quite easily by hand. If there are any hard spots or resistance during the turn, something is binding/rubbing/hitting and you have to find out where.

Edited by Uwe

Thanks ill look at that , I cant seem to upload photos but ill try again tomorrow

Hi folks, I’ve a 169 Adler and am trying to get it working, I’ve just gotten a replacement timing belt and having a go at replacing it, I’ve got it apart but when I link on the 169 Adler link for a manual, it shows error 404, I don’t think it’s available, I’ve asked my local Adler dealer but they say they don’t have access to to, just trying to get my head around all the lever functions.

I have the service manual but only in german

if you sent me an dm i will mail it to you

nb: to replace the timing belt you do not need to take the machine apart

(i changed the timingbelt of my adler 169 in about 1 hour)

It is the same procedure as the adler 167 , you will find it on this forum (google adler timing belt replacement)

Dürkopp-Adler has reworked their main website and a lot of older content is no longer available. Figured this with their formerly available "Sewing Lexicon".

Many manuals are available here (but not all):

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/downloads

Edited by Constabulary

I just seem to be going round in circles, I’ve got the new belt on my machine, is there timing marks I need to line up of do I just rotate the top and bottom shafts until the needle and bobbin line up and lock it.

No timing marks

just rotate shafts till the timing is right.