Eberk

Looking For A Square Rigging Dee! Anyone Know Where To Find Them?

Not on a saddle, but i have removed the tongue of a belt buckle and used it as a dee when i couldn't find a square one big enough.

Here is a grainy blurry photo of what i did.:

post-60185-0-15315300-1449722050_thumb.j

edit: That one rivet bugs me every time i take a picture, but you can barely see it in person. Posting this photo reminded me to replace it.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I haven't seen any square saddle D's that I can remember. If nobody chimes in with a supplier and you don't want to buy a complete custom set then you could just install a regular D upside down. You may have to get a little creative on the installation but it should be do-able.

If you want to have actual squares custom made you can certainly do that but it doesn't come cheap. I like Josh Cain, he's made several buckles and a bit for me over the last few years and he does a great job. You can check him out at "Raising Cain Bits and Spurs" on face book.

Good luck!

You could probably make simple flat ones like in the pic with an angle grinder out of sheet stainless without too much effort. An angle grinder, some small zip disks, a flap wheel and a sanding/polishing cup could do it. A band saw and a dremel would make things easier. You can get smaller pieces of sheet stainless or brass or whatever from mcmaster-carr. If you take it slow, most brass can be cut with a router. I wouldn't try it with stainless.

People will tell you this is way too much work, however I know that someone with some fab skills and the right tools, (and i am talking about inexpensive angle grinder attachments, not manufacturing machines here) could make a nice pair of these in less than an hour. I could for sure. The advantage is they are totally custom. With one of a kind custom hardware, you can adjust the price accordingly. You can make them to fit your/the saddle/and the customers style. The modifications are endless.With a drill press, you could drill holes in it like brogue punching in shoes for instance.

The other option is to design them in CAD and have them cnc'd out. Look in your area for a makers space or something like that that has a cnc metal cutting table of some kind, and make friends with one of the geeks who knows how to run it. Barley bucks go far.