plinkercases

Oil Before Or After You Dye?

Sure it sound like a funny question but really.... I had to actually re-word it a few time to pass the good taste bar but....... If you are using an older hide (some of my side are in my possession over a year before I get to the last of it) do you oil the pieces before or after you dye a project?

I too use some leather that is over a year old...depending on what I'm doing with the leather, dictates when I oil...if during the project the leather will be flexed I oil before...if it will not be flexed during the making process I wait until after the dye is applied and the edges are finished.

Hope this makes sense.

Applying dye first to dry leather will make the dye soak in faster (since there is a bigger difference between the wet dye on the surface and the dry leather). However, it may be more likely to have splotches. The above advice sounds good, to oil if it will be flexed during assembly. Also, I hear that the dye can dry out leather further because of the alcohols evaporating. Oiling first can help there, and I hear it can help reduce the chances of having splotches. One way is not always better than the other.

I use a touch of neetsfoot oil compound on the flesh side before working if I know my leather has been sitting for a while.

Also. I always damped the leather before I dye, but I'm using Tandy water based dyes. Keeps the splotching down to min. Then finish with Otterwax leather salve and oil, always comes out buttery soft for me with even color.

Thanks folks. I will have to get some of that Otter leather Salve and try it out.

With oil-based dyes, I get good results by oiling first, letting it sit for a day and then applying the dye. It helps get an even coat by normalizing the moisture content of the leather across the piece.

I carve and stamp almost everything I do, so it doesn't really matter how dry or old my leather was before starting, it's already been moistened up for working.