Acceptable

Do All Chrome-Tanned Leathers Not Age?

Does chrome-tanning a leather automatically render it unable to develop a patina and age over time? Or is it because of some protective finish that is applied on top of the chrome-tanned leather? i.e., are there any chrome-tanned leathers that will age, creased, and pull-up like vegtan leather?

I am walking around with a minimalist wallet chrome tanned a year ago and nothing is changing , expect the effect of the finish , which in not patina !

Check old saddle back leather's bag on Youtube , the guy uses chrome tanned leather .

I am walking around with a minimalist wallet chrome tanned a year ago and nothing is changing , expect the effect of the finish , which in not patina !

Check old saddle back leather's bag on Youtube , the guy uses chrome tanned leather .

Yeah actually Saddleback Leather products are what inspired my question.

I was under the impression that pure chrome-tan leathers do not age or develop a well-worn patina. But I believe all of Saddleback's products are pure chrome-tanned, yet they seem to age beautifully.

I also think it has more to do with the surface finish. Saddleback uses full grain chrome tan. If they used top grain chrome tan, then the surface would have been sanded, filled, and sealed.

I have chrome tan that has a patina, but it all has a surface without a smooth gloss. Two pairs of my shoes from Timberland are an oil-tan style finish, but are chrome tan leather.. They have developed a patina already- within 1 year of wearing them.

Look for naked or pull-up chrome tan - these are the best types to get age on them - whether artificially induced or with time and wear. Take a look at the chaps and botas on my website - most are chrome tanned and you can see how well they aged

www.wrtcleather.com