Hello All,

This is a Christmas present for a friend of the family. Horween essex exterior lined and padded with Veg Tan. Saddle stitched with 632 fil au chinois, at 8 Spi (9 tpi iron)

42050176-3791-44E9-B9E9-8E3F46437BA5_zps

One of the punched holes got away from me and is a bit off center, it really upset me as there is nothing than can be done once it's punched. Oh well, I don't think his wrist is that big anyway ;) .

Edited by 9tpi

Nice work. Did you stitch the keepers in? Nice crease on them.

I've read not to stitch across straps because it weakens the strap. I'm sure a watch strap will be fine. What do you think?

Looks great

Thanks!

Nice work. Did you stitch the keepers in? Nice crease on them.

I've read not to stitch across straps because it weakens the strap. I'm sure a watch strap will be fine. What do you think?

Thanks very much!

I stitched the keeper, that it closest to the buckle, in place. The other is floating.

I agree with you and never stitch across a strap EXCEPT watch straps. A: because it creates a nicer finished product and B: because there will never be enough tension on that strap to worry about the couple of stitch holes . IMO

Hello All,

This is a Christmas present for a friend of the family. Horween essex exterior lined and padded with Veg Tan. Saddle stitched with 632 fil au chinois, at 8 Spi (9 tpi iron)

42050176-3791-44E9-B9E9-8E3F46437BA5_zps

One of the punched holes got away from me and is a bit off center, it really upset me as there is nothing than can be done once it's punched. Oh well, I don't think his wrist is that big anyway ;) .

nice work!! do you go all the way thru with the iron? or do you use an awl to poke the holes all the way thru?

if you do use an awl, what kind/size is it? thank you!!

nice work!! do you go all the way thru with the iron? or do you use an awl to poke the holes all the way thru?

if you do use an awl, what kind/size is it? thank you!!

Thank you!

I actually never punch all the way through, just mark the leather and pass through with the awl while stitching.

This particular project i use a 38mm Blanchard diamond awl.

It is very nice, and even after you pointed out the flaw I can hardly detect it on my large computer monitor, so I'd say go ahead and forget about it!

Thanks, that's very kind of you.

We are always our own worst critics, aren't we?

And a commissioned strap, colors requested by customer.

C22BBEF7-0AF3-412D-93CC-3DF4E5C1F6E5_zps

Nice job! what kind of beveling tool are you using, if I might ask?

Nice job! what kind of beveling tool are you using, if I might ask?

Thanks Monica!

As far as edgers go, to be honest, I only use them on firm leather like bridle and natural veg tans. When it comes to softer leathers like CXL, Calf, Essex i find they don't do a great job unless they are LAZER sharp. The leather tends to bunch and cut funny. So I just burnish the edges. The process of burnishing rounds the edge slightly and I'm happy with the results I get.

That's what I had found, so I'm glad to have that confirmed. I was asking to see what kind of edging I had missed. :) I guess I'm not trying hard enough to round the edges as I burnish. I just finished a wallet with black essex, and the edges were in no way rounded. Oh well.