rfkoen

Pop Rivet Leather?

Okay, here is a strange question. We make leather koozies that we sell at shows. They are riveted together, and have a leather handle in addition to the leather that goes around the can. We like to personalize them with a separate leather rectangle with names, decorative stamps, or even conchos. I typically rivet this little panel in place as well. My problem is that it is difficult to rivet the leather customization piece to the koozie after the koozie is already made. To get the leather into the press you have kind of crunch the body together to reach the rivets. I think if we could use pop rivets it would be quick and very simple to add the custom patches to an already made koozie. Have any of you ever used pop rivets to hold 2 pieces of leather together? My two concerns are: Can you get the rivet to set and break off the stem without pulling it through one or both layers of leather? If you do set it, will there be any sharp edges to the rivet that would be a potential hazard to someone using it? Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide!

post-38919-0-68199300-1450122430_thumb.j

Look at the backside of a pop rivet and you will have your answer. There is a big nub that sticks out.