I am looking for a good glue pot. I do not use it very fast and I don't want it to dry out.

Thank you

I have been using Master cements for a long while. I have also used Barge and a few other formulations. I now use Renia Cements, both the Ethyl Acetate base and the water based. The solvents used in these products have small molecules (relative to other hydrocarbons) and high vapor pressures, which means simply that they evaporate quickly, which is what you want. These solvents will escape from almost any container, even the ones they are shipped in. It's their job and they are good at it. This is why a solvent or "thinner" is sold separately for most commercial glue products. This solvent is usually particular to a particular glue. Master All-Purpose thinner ONLY works on Master All-Purpose Cement. Renia "Green Can" Cements and Master Max-Bond (same thing as Renia Colle de Cologne) only work with Renia thinner. There is a separate thinner for rubber cement in most instances too, you just have to learn your cement. Water based cements (Renia Aquilim) use distilled water for a solvent, which is $1 a gallon at the Food Store, that's handy, boy howdy. The water based cement is a little harder to use on wet leather, because the leather keeps supplying the solvent. The leather has to dry before the cement will dry.

I have the Teflon glue pots, T-S Boy containers, the glass bottle jars that Springfield doesn't sell, and the HDPE bottles that Springfield sells. I also have small narrow art spatulas (I think they call them pallet knives, but even a modeling spoon will do) that I get from Art suppliers. These are almost invaluable in some constructions where any brush is just too big. The T-S Boy containers are the best for Water based cements where you have to use special silicone brushes, just take my word for it. The teflon glue pots (Atco containers) are great for production work, but not the ticket for occasional use. The glass bottles are the best for long term storage of solvent based cement like Master, but they will break if you try hard enough The HDPE bottles have the same cap and brush as the glass ones and are a lot harder to break. They don't have silicone brushes go forget using water based in them.

​WHATEVER you use, unless you are tuning up for the IRON MAN competition, put petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline) on the threads of bottles and the top of the T-S Boy containers even if you are using water based cement. I have destroyed a HDPE container trying to remove a glued-on cap. The metal cap didn't fare well either. Use the Vaseline or don't say I didn't tell you so.

So at the end of the week or sooner or later depending on how thick or stringy you want it, put some thinner (can be water for the Renia Aquilim) in the bottle and shake it up. You can't get the glue too thin, well, you can but it doesn't matter as you can always apply a second or third coat till it dries shiny or add some of the full strength cement.

​P.S. Don't buy the Chinese T-S Boy knockoff containers. They leak around the seams. The T-S- Boy containers are made in Germany and work.

Art

I've used the small plastic Coke bottles for years and they work great ! Drill a hole in the top and i use a piece of trimed sheep skin to spread the glue with, when your done stick it to the top. This year i had to take a month and a half off and my glue was fine when i got back to work.