rk5n

Bobbin Case Too Tight?

Hi all, lurker here.

I recently acquired a Singer 136w110 post-bed machine. After many tries stitching 69 poly thread, I switched to the nylon thread that worked fine in my Adler 67. I got the hook timed correctly, needle seems to be correctly aligned with the hook now and it's finally stitching. Only problem is that now the tension is out of whack. I'm new to sewing machines in general which is why my search failed to turn up any solutions since I probably don't have the right terms.

The issue is that the bottom tension is way too tight. I have the upper tension cranked all the way down but I'm still seeing a straight line on the bottom on the test piece (5oz oil tanned, 1 layer). I played around with the screw on the bobbin case but that doesn't seem to do anything. The problem is when the bobbin and case are in the machine, it seems like the little spring loaded lever that holds it in place is clamping down too much preventing the bobbin from turning freely.

When I pull on the bobbin thread here, it spins freely

qmYT5eU.jpg

Now with the lever down, when I pull on the bobbin thread it's very hard.

YzRJo6t.jpg

I'm going to try using a fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the bottom of the bobbin case even though I don't see any obvious burrs. Is there any way to adjust the tension on that lever?

Edited by rk5n

I think you need to start all over back the top tension off and loosen the bobbin tension to where it pulls freely, sense you have already messed with it. Then sew some and tighten the top tension a little at a time and see what happens you may need to tighten the bobbin a little. Works for me anyway. I really think the polyester thread is the way to go but each to his own.

Sounds to me like the bobbin you have is too big and binding when you latch down the bobbin cover. Many bobbins are similar in size and often that "close-enough" bobbin that ends up in a machine is not the right one to work properly.

Bobbins are cheap, get some that are new and the right size, before spend hours trying to make this one work.

The Singer parts list for the 136W110 lists a Bobbin part number as 203470 ($5.95 for a pack of ten)

Edited by Uwe

Sounds to me like the bobbin you have is too big and binding when you latch down the bobbin cover. Many bobbins are similar in size and often that "close-enough" bobbin that ends up in a machine is not the right one to work properly.

Bobbins are cheap, get some that are new and the right size, before spend hours trying to make this one work.

The Singer parts list for the 136W110 lists a Bobbin part number as 203470 ($5.95 for a pack of ten)

Thanks, it seems like that's the problem. Especially since these:

U8gRr5i.png

are the bobbins that were sold to be as fitting a 136w. Part #233939. I'll report back when the correct bobbins arrive.

Those are the wrong bobbins. correct ones are flat on the sides

Those bobbins look like the correct ones for a 168 Singer post machine!

glenn

The bobbins 204370 were made for the other type of bobbincase that fits in the 136(see pic).They still will work with the style he has but will fit loose & can spin causing backlash.So you might want to put some felt in the bottom of where the bobbin sets.The bobbins he is using could of been made wrong.

post-7185-0-97857400-1450289320_thumb.jp

I went digging around and found the actual bobbin that came with the machine, it's a plastic center and paper washers, this is why I went looking for metal ones and mistakenly bought the wrong ones.

IboZOke.jpg

Now it's sewing OK, still need to adjust the tension better since the lever seems to clamp down on the plastic bobbin a little too much, but it's acceptable. I need it working so I can start this dopp kit for my GF in time for christmas while she's away tonight.

UNkj3GE.jpg

Bob, So what you're saying is that the 204370 bobbin fits the case you put up a picture of? Which bobbin # fits the case I have in mine? I can get better pictures for you if you need them.

Did the 136 come with both styles of bobbin cases? I ask because when hand cranking the machine, it seems like the machine binds a little at the point in the stroke where the top thread passes over the top of the bobbin case and completes the loop around the bobbin thread. Can it be that a similar but incorrect bobbin case was fitted to my machine?

Edited by rk5n

I'm going by the 136W110 parts diagram which surely shows your bobbin case (238304+238305) alongside the 203470 bobbin. Not sure why Singer would put these together if they don't go together.

post-56402-0-63153600-1450310198_thumb.p

The apparent discrepancy may stem from the fact that Bob is talking about a bobbin with a different part number with two transposed digits("204370" vs "203470")

Edited by Uwe

The bobbin in the picture looks like a pre wound bobbin which you throw away when empty. My experience is that any bobbin will work as long as they fit in the bobbin case and are not tight. If they are a bit small they may cause some clicking I think thats the backslash Bob mentioned. But they work. I have seen machines with 3 or 4 slightly different bobbins and they all worked. Keep in mind you that may have some tolerances between different manufacturers. Also make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin correctly - usually from the left.

Anyway - usually for hooks with a "cap" the bobbins 233939 are correct. The flat bobbins are for the hooks with the small lever across the basket.