DeadHorse

Measuring Belts For Presents.

So this year I have decided to do belts for all the men in the family. I was only able to get pant sizes from the wives. I know pant sizes vary. I'm proof of that my self. The buckles I will be using will add an inch I believe. I have seen people say add 2 inches or add 4 inches. I know from searching this site that no one has a "formula" other than measuring an old belt and going from there. I cant do that in my case though. I believe what I will do is take into account the inch for the buckle and measure from buckle flap to one inch extra for the center hole. Then I will do 3 holes to either side with one inch spacing. I know it won't be perfect but at this point I really don't have any other options. The lettering and such may be a little off but these are presents and also these are going to be some good practice. Thoughts, opinions, concerns? Thanks!

I have several gun belts and it seems that when you have 5 holes they are spaced 1 inch apart and when you have 7 holes they are spaced 3/4 inch apart. I checked on "The Beltman" site and one of the options is belt hole spacing "5 hole at 1 inch or 7 hole at 3/4 inch". Hope that helps.

Edited by saints1589

I'm doing a few belts this year as well. I am thinking to solve the problem by either not adding a hole until after they have received the gift, or only putting one hole so the rest can follow where needed.. not reasonable if you have to ship the belt, but if the gift is to a local or a family member... could be an option.

YinTx

Here's how I do a belt;

I do a 2'' fold around the buckle tongue bar.

From that fold to the waist size which I'm told, a tongue hole, and centred on that two on each side at 1'' spacing. From the furthest hole I add appox 4 or 5 inches.

I've just done a belt for a lady. 36'' waist.

>> From tongue fold to main hole = 36''. Then five holes at: 34'', 35'' [36''] 37'' & 38'', then add approx 4''.

Thus from tongue to end is 42 [38 +4] add the 2'' fold = 44'' approx.

Approx almost 2'' of the free end is cut to shape.

I use the same formula for all simple belts.

For my medieval style belts I add 15 to 20 inches beyond the last hole.

hth