cazmocc

Parts For A Singer 29K 58

I have a Singer 29K 58 boot patcher machine but can't use it as I have not got the screws to fix it onto the treadle base. I am in the UK so tried College Sewing Machines but to no avail. Can anyone help me source them? I am pretty sure that their part number is 88418E and I need 4.

I have a set of 4 screws from a 29K73 but I think the long arm patchers are using the same screws, the short ram patchers ahd screws with smaller diameter afaik. I´ll send you a PM.

I have a 29K58 and mine connects with 1/4-20 screws, 3/4 to 1 inch long with domed slot head.

The 29K58 head was attached to the base with screws that are 9/32" x 20 TPI. You can order generic Singer screw #50632 which is that size and pitch and it works fine. That is what I use now. The former screw is no longer available. Early Singer 29's used a 3/16" x 28 screw to fasten the head to the stand . I believe it was screw #122. The #128 is the same screw only shorter and that is still made because it is the screw to attach the end of the head to arm.

glenn

Thank you for your help everyone - I will send for some of the generic Singer screws that shoepatcher suggested. I feel very supported as I start out on my leather working journey to know that there are people out there with all the answers!

Carol

Can this machine work well with 92 bonded nylon, top and bobbin too?

Can this machine work well with 92 bonded nylon, top and bobbin too?

Yes, but that is the maximum size. Use #19 or 20 needles with #92 thread.

Many thanks! The 29K looks more robust than it really is. But it's still a wonderful machine to have. It'll reach some tight spots. I've ordered a cam roller to hopefully get the slop out of the walking foot. Stitch length is a little short to suit me. The current roller has a flat spot on it.

I´m sewing 138 w/o problems. You should also change the bell crank lever. If one roller has a flat spot check the other rollers too.

EDIT: but 138 Polyester not Nylon!

Edited by Constabulary

I just got a Singer 29-4 shoe patcher and wonder if anyone can answer a few questions for me.

Does anyone know where I can get an oil/wax bowl for it?
I also need a drawer for the stand.

The belt on this machine is in good shape but I thought it would be a good idea to have a back up belt. What size belt do they take? I mic-ed the leather belt at 0.185". Is that a 1/4" belt? Does anyone know what the length should be for the belt?

Jeanette,

I have a bunch of the oil bowls that screw on the top of the machine. Do you have the screw or is it missing? Send me a private email

glenn

After some limited experience with my 29 I've come to the reluctant conclusion that modern equals will serve you better. The stitch length on the older machines and maybe on all of them leave something to be desired. I like mine but if I had if to do over again.....I wouldn't have bought it. I would've picked up a modern cowboy or something similar. My 31-15 and 153W102 can do anything I would've really needed. I enjoy the mechanical nature of these machines than I do their actual utility. So, I would be a fixer rather than a sewing person. I had the 29 confused with a larger model I saw in the shoe shops as a kid probably a Singer model 7 maybe? My nomenclature may be off a bit there. Anyway..,here we are.

Edited by mmike956

After some limited experience with my 29 I've come to the reluctant conclusion that modern equals will serve you better. The stitch length on the older machines and maybe on all of them leave something to be desired. I like mine but if I had if to do over again.....I wouldn't have bought it. I would've picked up a modern cowboy or something similar. My 31-15 and 153W102 can do anything I would've really needed. I enjoy the mechanical nature of these machines than I do their actual utility. So, I would be a fixer rather than a sewing person. I had the 29 confused with a larger model I saw in the shoe shops as a kid probably a Singer model 7 maybe? My nomenclature may be off a bit there. Anyway..,here we are.

Well equipped shoe shops would often have a pedestal mounted heavy duty Adler 30-something, or a Claes patcher, either costing about 5 or 6 thousand dollars new. They might have a small bobbin Singer patcher or two for lighter and tighter quarters work, like repairing purse straps and strap tabs, sewing close to toes in shoes, or sewing patches onto motorcycle vests.

The bell crank lever had a screw missing and I replaced it along with the roller. Now I get 9 stitches per inch but the walking foot rubs the needle bar!

014.JPG

014.thumb.JPG.6f19835b47998f2df957fe9f0f

Seems you installed the gib on the wrong side. It belongs on the side with the thumb screw with the small notch on the upside - if you know what I mean.

Check the needle screw.  It looks to big to me.  I believe the correct needle set screw is a #237.  It is a short screw with a fairly flat head.  Generic screws can be to big in the head size.

glenn

You were right! I had it backwards. Now I switched from the 50 year old Nomex T70 to 92 bonded nylon for the first time. That nylon is hard to keep on the bobbin! Top thread tension seems sensitive too. I have a few cones of the old Nomex left and I like it but when that's gone bonded nylon or polyester is all there is I guess. With nylon so springy, how well does it lock at the end of the stitch? None of my machines have a reverse feature so I either rotate the work or slacken the thread and back the work up beneath the presser foot and make about two steps with the needle.. On the 29K the foot can be rotated for a lock.

From the library of: Superior Sewing Machine & Supply LLC

ACCESSORIES ACCESSORIES SUPPLIED WITH 29K58 AND 29K62 MACHINES No.

Instruction Book

50616E  Machine Screw (for fastening Machine to Stand)

SS418E  Machine Screw (for fastening Machine to Power Table)

82833  Machine Screw Washer for use with SS418E

29 X 4 Needles (2 each, sizes 19, 21 and 22).

the 50616, ss418, 82833 no longer available.   I have a replacement for the 50616 bolt.

glenn

On 11/17/2020 at 6:34 PM, shoepatcher said:

the 50616, ss418, 82833 no longer available.   I have a replacement for the 50616 bolt.

glen

Glen, do you still have bolts for attaching the head to the base available?

yep   they are on the way to you.

glenn