indidana

Bleeding Dye

I dyed the inside of a collar to hide the stain marks from doing the front. I originally intended to leave the back natural but didn't want all those spots. So, I smoothed it out with gum tragacanth, then dyed with Eco flo coal black. Now that it's dry, what is the best product to use to keep the dye from bleeding?

post-62762-0-91689400-1450361298_thumb.j

In theory, any finish should keep the stains from leeching out of the leather on to other surfaces. In my personal experience, that hasn't been much of a problem with any of the stains or finishes I've used. I prefer to use Fiebling's Tan-Kote since it's the least Turn-the-leather-into-reflective-material finish I've tried. Even Eco-Flow's Satin Finish is a higher gloss than I would tend to prefer (and Super Shene is really high gloss). I would also condition the leather after the fact. It may or may not prevent any leeching but it does keep the leather in better shape. I would say it's a good habit to develop.

I'm not familiar with RTC off hand but the other two would probably be sufficient to prevent leeching. Conditioner is pretty easy to find and generally inexpensive. You can usually find some form of it at any hardware or sporting store if nowhere else. I use Obenaufs brand personally but different craftsmen have different preferences.

I had googled water proof finishes and this is one that came up. Or I found it on these forums. I don't remember. Haha

Anyway, it's amazing. Very, very shiny, which I don't much like depending on the project, but is water proof dig a few applications. It's from Bee Natural Leathercare. RTC Sheridan Resist & Finish. I had an order of coasters I used it on.

Back to the collar. I used a couple coats of super shene on the back, buffed it and called it good. We shall see.

post-62762-0-49046400-1450391155_thumb.j

post-62762-0-24455500-1450391198_thumb.j