Mhicks

Question On Making Belts

Sorry if these topics have been covered, I looked a bit but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm making a few belts 2 layer belts, black on one side dark brown on the other. I'm using some pre cut H/O strips and I need them to have a glossy/polished finish.

The leather has a bit of a texture to it, I'm assuming I need to get that smoothed out prior to applying something like a clear-lac to finish the belt?

I do apply the finish after the stitching is done right?

to smoothe the texture up a bit you could use a glass slicker. They are sold at tandy and springfield. Look up some videos on how to use them on youtube. You might be able to find something around the house to do the job of the slicker. A rolling pin would work. Just make sure to get the leather wet enough to compress the texture but not saturated or it won't hold as well.

As for finishing before or after stitching - I've done it both ways and some will swear by one way or the other. Ultimately it depends on the look you want for your belt.

Test on scrap first to be sure of the results!!

Thank you for the response, I don't have a glass slicker but I do have some scrap oak or walnut I can use to make a small slicker for the time being.

Good to know there isn't a wrong way, I'll probably apply the finish prior to stitching.

Thanks again!

For me when to finish depends on the leather, type of finish and the nature of the project.

Finishing before stitching ensures that there are no small spots that are missing finish, However finishing after helps keep the stitching from staining, and helps lock the stitches, especially when machine stitching with unwaxed thread. With waxed thread, it is not as much of an advantage finishing after stitching.

If i am planning on 2 coats of finish, i sometimes put one on before and one on after stitching, i guess to get the best of both worlds.

Sometimes (and i am trying to do this more) if a finish is hard to get even across a bunch of small pieces, or i want undyed edges, i will lay out the pattern on the hide, scribe my pieces, and then apply the finish to the whole area of the hide i am using all at once, to ensure even coverage and a good match from piece to piece. I scribe it first so i can leave the unused leather unfinished for the next project.Then i will cut, and stitch it.

Edited by TinkerTailor

resolene = glossy

Tinker hit the most important part for me, . . . finish after stitching, . . . the finish will then help lock the stitches in place.

The only variable on the stitches that I usually do, . . . stitch before or after dyeing, . . . depending on whether my customer wants white stitching or dyed stitching.

For a glossy / polished finish, . . . paprhangr gave you the nuts and bolts of the situation: Resolene. Just be sure to cut it 50 / 50 with water before you apply it. Apply one light coat and see how you like it.

It is more or less my only finish, . . . for just about everything I do.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you for all the information, I picked up some resolene and went ahead and got a glass slicker to smooth them up a little more. I have 3 belts to do so I'm going to finish the first one after the stitching is done and go from there.