Mohawk Dave

I Think I Want A Cowboy Cb5500....new, Used, Or Wrong Machine?

Hi all,

Been researching threads like this...http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=54178 and others.

I like doing HEAVY leather work, but have mainly been using copper burr rivets. It's time to get a machine. From home and shop furniture to stuff for the 4x4 camping rig, and come next year we'll be in Montana, where all kinds of things will get leather: including tractor seats and big truck interiors etc.

I do not want to stair-step on this purchase. I'd rather Buy Once, Cry Once. So, I think the Cowboy CB5500 with the 25" arm could be a lifetime machine. Am I correct in assuming this?

If this is a good/great machine should I buy used or new? (Assuming I found a used one).

I don't mind spending $3,400 or whatever for a new one IF a used one for $2,500 can bring me hours and hours of headache or chasing problems down a rabbit hole.

(I'd love to get what Wizcrafts pointed out in the other thread, the ~$6,000 Campbell Randall needle and awl machines, or the Adler 205-370 (~$6,000), but that's a tad more than I want to spend right now.)

What do you guys have to say about these ideas?

Link to Cowboy CB5500 http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb5500.html

Thanks, Dave

You can never go wrong buying a new machine from a reputable dealer. The guys around here all stand behind the machines they sell and that is worth a very great deal. If you can afford the bigger machine, that's the way to go. I have NEVER said "I wish I would have gotten the smaller machine", I have however mourned over the fact I didn't get the bigger machine in the series I purchased. You are correct, the 5500 will be a lifetime purchase. With proper love and care, you will get years and years of great service. Take the bigger $ hit now, allow the machine to help you move your work forward in ways you may not have imagined, and never look back. Just my personal experience and two cents worth.

I am the happy owner of a Cowboy 5500, I bought from Neal's Saddlery and actually picked it up at his shop. I can tell you, the support alone is worth the price. I have called and spoke with Ryan while he was out of town on vacation and he was still happy to help. I have never been sorry for my purchase, the 5500 comes on a much heavier stand than the others yet is very maneuverable. I am yet to run into something that requires more Harp space than provided. When I bought my 5500 I had the same thoughts, buy once and not have to worry about it. I would also reccomend buying the package that includes multiple other presser feet, needle plates etc. Not only does it save a lot of money, it comes in as useful when you least expect it. I had a problem with the Servo motor, and Ryan sent over night the new part. I have since purchased a CB227 to handle my lighter work, and once again are more than satisfied. I sew holsters, belts, and SCA armor and shields. I highly reccomend getting it, and if your close enough to go to the shop by all means do so. I know Ryan spent over 15 hours setting mine up prior to pick up. Sorry for rambling but I hope this helps

Buying used isn't always an option, because in some areas, used machines simply aren't available. The machines weigh so much, you would have a very hard time finding someone willing to ship a used machine. Too much hassle and expense.

So buying used can save you a lot of money, if the machine you need is actually available for sale. A rare machine like the Cowboy 5500 or any long arm 441 clone won't come up for sale used often, and may never come up for sale within driving distance in a reasonable time frame. I am not saying not to look for used machines, but I think if time is an issue, buying new will save you a lot of time scouring classifieds daily. Because if you don't scour frequently enough, good deals are bought up super quick on leather sewing machines.

Every time I sew a Western drop loop gun belt with bullet loops, or a large weigh lifters' belt, I morn my choice of the 4500 rather than the 5500.

I bought mine brand new and picked it up in person, from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (Bob Kovar, owner and a paying supporting member here (aka: CowboyBob)). He always takes care of any problems with my machines or motors and sends parts out for next business day delivery. I never worry about support with machines I buy from him.

The 25" arm makes this a truly impressive machine. The pedestal stand is much heavier than the one I got for my CB4500.

One thing I would like to remind all Cowboy machine owners to do is to open the face plate occasionally and put oil in the tiny oil holes in all the crank shafts in the business end of the head. Use a precision oiler with a needle tube. You will have some oil drops to wipe up, but the machine will operate quieter and not seize up from lack of oil in these critical components.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hey everybody,

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I have a few more pennies to save to get one.

Any recommendations of where to get one in Southern California?

Hey everybody,

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I have a few more pennies to save to get one.

The Cowboy sewing machines are shipped from Toledo, Ohio. The rate is cheaper if you have access to a loading dock and pick it up there, rather than residential delivery requiring a lift-gate truck.

Thanks Wiz.

I do have loading dock access at my buddies place.

So, considering I'm a newb on these, is set-up all that difficult? Reading, YouTube, and the collective knowledge on here would suffice?

(I suppose if I could do welders, plasma cutters, lathes and mills, I can figure out a sewing machine)....but as of right now I'm flying blind and have no circle of friends that know a thing about sewing machines.

I just don't want to shoot from the hip and make costly mistakes during the learning curve.

Setting it up is not difficult, lifting the head is a two man job, unless you are young and robust...I have a CB4500 from Bob and my 16 year old son and I put it together without a problem.

Sewing with it is another story...read all you can and watch as many videos as you can...and you will do fine.

Edited by Troy I

Number one thing to do is oil it completely by the manual. Over oiling is better than not enough. You can wipe up drips, you can't put back worn metal.

In the first 2 weeks, go through the lube procedures and adjustment procedures in the manual a few times to memorize them. The lube procedure one is obvious. When you go through the adjustment procedures, do not change anything. Look at everything, see what it does. Touch all the screws and note how it looks when it is set up correct. Take pictures of things, That way when you have a problem you will know a little better what is going on in there, and also what it is supposed to look like. Take a pic of how the machine is threaded when it gets to you. In shipping or initial use, my machine lost the little tiny set screw to hold the bobbin tension locked. I discovered this while going through the adjustment procedures, and analyzing the machine, trying to figure out if it was me or the machine that was the problem.

I decided to check all the adjustments step by step from the manual. I went to touch the screw and it was not there...Cause to problem found and solution was easy......No big deal, It was in my hand by mail from the seller in a day or 3.

Had i not gone through the procedure, I would have been struggling with this for a while...especially since i know 9 times out of 10 tension issues with these machines when new are user error. I did have issues related to user error, don't get me wrong, this one was not one of them. The adjustment manual saved me lots of time and headache.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Hey everybody,

Same machine, diffr'nt name, located in Cali.

http://www.leathermachineco.com/product/king-cobra-class-4-25-with-electronic-positioning-system/

Edited by TinkerTailor

Setting it up is not difficult, lifting the head is a two man job, unless you are young and robust...I have a CB4500 from Bob and my 16 year old son and I put it together without a problem.

Sewing with it is another story...read all you can and watch as many videos as you can...and you will do fine.

Hi Troy,

Yes, I meant setting it up to function correctly and learn the machine. Not the actual physical part of setting it up. Mills, lathes, and gantry cranes are a little heavier. lol.

I have been researching, reading, and learning as much as I can so I'm not totally flying blind when I get this thing. Just found out fiancee's uncle has been doing upholstery for the last couple years and got to check out his new Juki last night. Hopefully I'll hang out with him more as he is the only one around here that I personally know that sews.

Awesome! I'll be stopping there in the next week or two to check them out and meet the company.

So, much like some handtools, these are made in 1 factory and slapped with a different paint color and name badge, huh? Fine by me as long as they didn't skimp on it.

Every time I sew a Western drop loop gun belt with bullet loops, or a large weigh lifters' belt, I morn my choice of the 4500 rather than the 5500.

I bought mine brand new and picked it up in person, from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (Bob Kovar, owner and a paying supporting member here (aka: CowboyBob)). He always takes care of any problems with my machines or motors and sends parts out for next business day delivery. I never worry about support with machines I buy from him.

The 25" arm makes this a truly impressive machine. The pedestal stand is much heavier than the one I got for my CB4500.

One thing I would like to remind all Cowboy machine owners to do is to open the face plate occasionally and put oil in the tiny oil holes in all the crank shafts in the business end of the head. Use a precision oiler with a needle tube. You will have some oil drops to wipe up, but the machine will operate quieter and not seize up from lack of oil in these critical components.

I have the 4500, no regrets. I can sew on either side of the needle, so in this case a longer neck would make no difference. If you know of any reason why I should need one, please let me know.

I have the 4500, no regrets. I can sew on either side of the needle, so in this case a longer neck would make no difference. If you know of any reason why I should need one, please let me know.