x101airborne

Thoughts On A Belt

I am thinking about a belt.

Mainly for a working belt.... hang anything off it, gun belt, stick in a pair of fencing pliars for a moment, etc.

Thing is, I hate my belts sliding around while working. The buckle goes one way or another, drags the pants around, pinches here or there..

My thought is to line it with suede. My hesitation is there is a reason why no one lines their belts with suede.

Any of you more experienced folks tell me why belts are not commonly lined with suede?

I have no problem trying and failing, Just don't want to do anything unnecessary unless necessary. LOL.

First there are belts lined with suede or the better ones with alcantara http://lucafaloni.com/products/clifton-brown-suede-belt or here http://lucafaloni.com/collections/belts. So it'd be wrong to say there are no such belts.

Here's a holster belt lined with suede http://www.lawmens.com/model-87-suede-lined-belt-w-buckle-2-192.php or just review this picture search https://www.google.de/search?newwindow=1&client=ubuntu&espv=2&biw=1314&bih=818&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=suede+lined+belt&oq=suede+lined+belt&gs_l=img.3...193634.195075.0.195965.5.5.0.0.0.0.80.335.5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.img..4.1.71.RqMWUBxm7XY

The downturn I see is that suede leather will have to be roughened from time to time.

Thanks.

I guess in order to be more correct, I should have said "I have never seen a belt lined with suede".

I have seen gunbelts such as the western style ones that don't go through the loops lined so they don't shift but never seen one inside the loops that was lined like that. Thanks for the link.

It's not uncommon to make a belt out of only a single layer of leather with no lining. That kind of belt effectively has a suede back because the flesh side is toward the body. The belt I'm currently wearing has been my daily wear belt for over a decade and it's burnished the flesh side a bit but it still holds in place very well. Never felt the need to roughen up the flesh side either, it holds by friction just fine.

i bought some pigskin from tandy a while back. it's veg tanned and is very close to suede. i lined the last belt i made with it just for the reason you describe. it doesn't slip. i've made several belts with suede lining. yes, it might have to be roughed up from time to time, but it really grabs on.

another thing i've noticed about wearing a belt - it often comes down to just how many belt loops are on your pants. i knoe for a fact that the newer levi's come with only five (??!!) loops. now, how cheap is that? there is just too much distance between loops to make your belt keep from riding up over your waistline.

i have an older pair of levi's that has eight loops. just right. so now, when i get a new pair (i buy all of my jeans from ebay - cheapre, preworn, washed and broken in) i will take some loops off of my older jeans and add them to my new ones.

yes, a bit off topic, but i think it's a bit relavent to belt comfort. it's not always the belt that's the problem.

Ramrod.... Very valid point. Appreciate it.

I made this'n for a fellow to use as a working belt.

It's 2 1/2" wide and made of a single layer of 14 ounce leather.

Belt05_zps8dec4f06.jpg

It is beautiful. Like a weightlifters belt narrowed a bit. Love the tooling. One day I may be able to do something like that. Hopefully.

Thanks, just takes lotsa patience and practice.

That is a good looking belt, like the rivets.