tboyce

Messenger Bag Strap

When you guys are making messenger bags. What strap length do you usually settle on?

I have quite a few bags and, I find a 44 inch strap is about right if the person will ride a bike with it. It gets the bag up on the back instead of behind the saddle. I also find it easier on my back to carry weight (which i carry alot) a little higher and closer to the body. I think a swinging bag is way worse on the back than a stationary one. For over the shoulder carrying i go to a 52" or so strap to make sure the bottom of the bag is below my pants pockets and belt. I hate it when the bottom edge catches on the top of my belt/ knife sheith or my wallet while walking.

I like a heavy strap, and i make them with a 1" by 2" same browne style adjuster, so i need 2" intervals. I frequently make my straps adjustable from 42-54, however i make sure the adjuster is far enough up to prevent the strap tail from hanging way out into space.

Thanks. Perfect reply

No prob.

I was thinking about this after i posted, It would depend of course a little on where the straps are attached in relation to the top of the bag. I generally have mine with the strap fold over point at about an inch below the top edge of the bag on the side, so your measurement may vary an inch or so depending on design. I usually cross body carry bags btw, You may want to shorten strap slightly for smaller people, or just give them an extra set of holes. I have pretty big shoulders. However you make enough patterns, you can figure this out i assume...

Edited by TinkerTailor