jroberts3001

Carving Blades

How much does the thinner carving blades help in the carving? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm curious of someone who has used them. What their application is and really if their easier to carve with?

I use them, I have a Barry King 3/8" Thin and a BK 1/4" Thin, and a 1/4" angled that is not thin, a 3/8" thick and I like the thin blades better, don't really have a reason why, I just do, I only use the 3/8" thick on long straight lines (I normally pull it along a straight edge like when bordering a basket weave area. I don't "carve" with the thick one, I use the thin ones for that. I don't have any science or any particular reason, I'm just partial to thin blades in a swivel knife.

Chief

The thinnest blade I own is a 3/32" Leather Wranglers blade for my SK-3. I use it manly to cut small leathers and cursive writing. That is pretty much it. The larger blade I own is 5/8" x 1/8" thick blade by Hackbarth. I very rarely use it.

Thanks guys I've looked at both those knives and blades. I think I'm going to make the switch