Moved to an old farm house and needed some Mocs. Also the stitching pony I made to finish them out of old scrap hardwood flooring and a $6 cam clamp

post-41644-0-92771000-1451232211_thumb.j

Nice pair of mocs. I would like to see more photos, and more info on your construction. Are they lined?

Sweet mocs, ditto rscow.

On your stitching pony I would suggest tapering the tops. This would allow you to use your awl more effectively.

post-32192-0-67516600-1451321753_thumb.p

A little suggestion...

Those cam clamps are the cat's meow for a stitching pony. They allow quick and easy thickness adjustment, tight clamping, easy release, and they greatly reduce problems with tangling your thread compared to, say, a wingnut.

But you've compounded the tangling problem on the other side with that overly long bolt and wingnut. If you have to stitch a project that requires longer stitching runs, you will go crazy keeping the thread off that bolt.

And, the thing is, it isn't necessary. That cam clamp spins easily, allowing a sufficient amount of thickness adjustment for any of the projects I stitch. A quick spin and clamp down and you are good to go.

I'd replace that long bolt and wingnut with a smooth-faced carriage bolt (I hand-carved a square indent in the hole I drilled in my oak pony to fit the carriage bolt and keep it from turning). Tangling problems will be a thing of the past. Though I haven't run into it, if you really need to clamp something thicker than the throw of the cam clamp will permit, just swap in a longer carriage bolt.

One other thing that I've found helpful. Sometimes I have a project that requires a deeper throat than the position of my carriage bolt/ cam clamp will allow. I've put another hole lower down to give me that longer throat when I need it. Having a hole with a shorter distance to the top of the pony's jaws give you ore clamping force so that's where I usually keep it.

Works great for me!

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Thanks for the suggestions. I was planing on changing the bolt what just what I had at the time. The Mocs I just lined with a soft leather I run hot and feet still sweat a bit in them. I will work on some pics and details

There the same as a canoe style I just wet formed the upper to my foot. Used dollar store craft foam for a template it's good cause cheap and similar traits to leather

Cut the upper to short thinking of adding somthing to close it off but I've worn shoes maybe three times since I've made them. I also made a discovery with the same above dollar store craft foam and hope this helps some one from slipping. Cut the sole patter in the foam and 3m spray glue to the out sole great snow traction and insulates

post-41644-0-74770500-1451440433_thumb.j

post-41644-0-12936900-1451440485_thumb.j

post-41644-0-32398700-1451440545_thumb.j

Thanks for the additional photos and insights. I like how they turned out. I've made a pair that I wear a lot, but am about to wear out. So, am always looking for good ideas.

Nice design ! Now I gotta add these to my "TO DO LIST thank you so much. --- Wild Bill46

Sewing the vamp was tricky I started with two threads from the toes and sewed my way back hitting both sides as I went if that makes sence. I used glovers needles and a round awl wasn't to worried about the stitching doubled the spacing on the right one after the left took so long.

the cam clamp seems cool. Where would I pick one of those up?

Really like these. I made my own stitching pony as well. Couldn't justify buying one if I was going to be "making" things out of leather.

Feet sweating... try using only a thin layer of cork under a smooth insole, no lining. Add a couple 3/16ths grommets to the upper under your arch.

Edited by Ole South