earthling33

Two Questions About These Leather Spats

When I am riding my motorcycle through light rain showers, often the only thing that gets uncomfortably wet are my legs from my knees to my ankles. My shins catch the spray off the front wheel and the rain coming under my wind screen. I've been thinking about making a pair of spats. I like the old school look, and they aren't as hot and uncomfortable as chaps.

I found this on Pinterest (from DeviantArt) and I like the style.

e84906222d311d91d4ad2243bb09f2fe.jpg

So, the two questions.

What type of leather is this? Upholstery? What would I look for when buying?

How would I make the spats as waterproof as possible?

Thanks

I think those are made out of some sort of canvas material.

Most leggings are waxed canvas. They will shed the water and debris but dry out quickly. Easy to make and maintain. Canvas, a good choice.

LOL it says right below the pic on Pinterest that it's denim. However, there's a product called repel by Carr & Day & Martin which would make it waterproof.

So if your question would be what kind of leather could it be made off, then upholstery or garment leather would be the answer.

Most leggings are waxed canvas. They will shed the water and debris but dry out quickly. Easy to make and maintain. Canvas, a good choice.

Me want leather. No canvas.

LOL it says right below the pic on Pinterest that it's denim. However, there's a product called repel by Carr & Day & Martin which would make it waterproof.

So if your question would be what kind of leather could it be made off, then upholstery or garment leather would be the answer.

Yes, it says denim and fringe (??? I see neither.) and it implies that the pic is something other than spats. I assumed some kind of mistake or mix-up by the poster.

But you did pick up on the intent of my question. If these spats were to be constructed from leather, what kind of leather would I use? Obviously not veg tanned. Or, maybe veg tanned would work. I'm getting ideas here. Maybe oiled leather, like Tandy Kodiak oil tanned. Upholstery or garment leather would probably work, but it would need to be treated with some heavy duty water proofing. I'll check out Repel. Thanks for the info.

The repel is for denim and canvas only. So if you want to make it from leather and if it'd be for me I'd be using calfskin and for your purpose I'd be using some that's made especially for motorcyclist clothing. Maybe you can get an older leather pants.

I made my set many years back out of chap leather. I am sure you can use whatever type of fabric like denim. The one thing about chap leather as you will know if you wear chaps that it will be very warm so I would not suggest using it during hot weather. I also made a set for my crash bars, which helped with the cold weather coming at my feet while riding. Good luck