erniethemilk

10Mm Plier Type Hole Punch

Does anyone know where I can obtain a Plier type hole punch that can punch holes around 10mm in diameter, preferably in the UK?

Can't seem to find that sort of punch anywhere!

Thanks

May I ask what you are punching hols for that require a 10mm diameter hole? I looked at my tandy heavy duty hole punch and the largest punch is 6,3mm. I was going to suggest that punch but obviously it is too small.

rick

It's to feed a strap through a protector, so needs to be a healthy size.

The largest I've seen appears to be around 8mm, so I'm guessing I'm looking for something that doesn't exist!

Hi there,

I'm assuming you need a plier punch becuase your work piece is already assembled and/or it is not practical to use a normal drive punch.

I, like rickdroid, can't find an existing plier punch with a 10mm cutter, so the only option would be to try to make one yourself. I don't think that the revolving type punches would do the job. You need the straight plier punch which stores it's extra cutters in the handle like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-7926LP-4-Inch-Professional-Leather/dp/B0007MX288

Then find a normal 10mm drive punch whose handle you could turn down and thread to fit in the plier, being careful with the length of the bit so that you can actually get it into the plier. The punches which are just tubes with sharp edges would not have the thickness of metal to turn down but if you find a bolt/threaded bar of the correct thread for the plier and epoxy just the sharp bit of the punch on to it (being careful to ensure it is centred), you could make a light duty 10mm cutter! Getting the leather cuttings out would require you to dig them out rather than use pushing them out. I hope that helps, but I f you could post some pictures of the project then we might be able to offer other solutions.

All the best.

Jerry

One more thought which I probably should have added to the above Heath-Robinson hole cutter contraption.....You'll need to add an appropriate sized cutting surface/anvil on the opposite of the plier because the supplied one won't be big enough.

Thanks guys, just reading through your responses. As it is I think I'm going to go with a maxi punch kit from Tandy which I believe includes an 8mm sized punch - not the perfect solution, but workable I believe.