CoteCraftworks

Can't Get The Edges To Burnish Like Glass

Personally I prefer this for all my old, new, smart, or other water needs.
image.jpeg.a7b6db13bc6c067b8d3f2b9a825d349e.jpeg
Edited by Retswerb

How I get glass edges is.... 

180,220,320,400,600,800,1000,1500, 2k, 2.5k sanding. You need to use a hard block, not your fingers. For something bifold size, you will need to change the sand paper halfway though it. For a duffle, you could go through a 9x11 sheet of each grit. 

Then edge it. Don't edge before sanding. Don't edge the inner layers, they will be sanded down. If you edge them, you will have seams unless you sand down ALOT. 

Then burnish with Tokonole with canvas. It'll be glass at this point. If there are imperfections, resand. Choose grit by imperfection type. If it's a seam, you need to start back at 180 or 220. 

Then Columbus wax with some heat or iron and canvas again to work in the wax. 

This is the best way to get seam free, glass edges. 

What some people call a glass edge differs. Some don't mind seams. Some just want shiny. If you want perfect edges, it takes work. 

Edited by Combatmedic870

On 11/16/2020 at 3:34 AM, Handstitched said:

Couldn't be easier than that eh ?  I burnish  the edges straight after I've dyed them  and while the dye is still damp , and finish with a bit of boot polish to make them all nice & pretty  , simple , its pretty routine for me now. :)  When theres multiples of product, theres not much time  to fiddle about . 

HS

Yes, it all depends on the market you are selling into.  If you have a customer base that is willing to pay for the labor to make glass like edges then by all means go for it.  I don't have that kind of market so I'm more inclined to do things the way you do and not worry about glass like edges.

@Retswerb  Going  off topic  here,  but that reminds me of  TV comedy' spoof' of a  cooking show with Richard Grant in the UK. 

I heard the term ' Air Dried Water ' .  That had me in stitches  :rofl: 

But keeping on topic, I only use ' (dehydrated)  water' and the moisture in dyes , and some 'elbow grease' to burnish my edges. 

HS 

I would bet the 150 grit sanding is the culprit and likely causing the edges to fluff up and probably worse than if you didn't sand at all. If you want a gloss finish on the edges then 400 grit at the minimum but I go to 600 and as I finish sanding, during the last few minutes I sand in only one direction and lightening the pressure