Maybe it depends on what you use for a source of rust. I used steel wool, and got a reaction quite quickly. A friend of mine is a machinist, and he and his girlfriend used shavings and filings from when he drilled out some steel, and they fizzed right up and gave them a good mixture. Maybe there isn't enough rust for the volume of vinegar you're using.

Smaller particles like shavings will have more surface area with rust, so if I had steel wool lying around it would have been faster. The springs I have are rather small and there are quite a few of them in there so I think it should be enough.. if not I still have plenty more I can use.

Smaller particles like shavings will have more surface area with rust, so if I had steel wool lying around it would have been faster. The springs I have are rather small and there are quite a few of them in there so I think it should be enough.. if not I still have plenty more I can use.

If it helps, I got a box of no-soap Brillo pads at the grocery store for something like $0.79.

LOL.. now I know I might have to add this to one of my labs on chemical reactions that my class is going to do in the next semester.. along with chemical copper plating

LOL.. now I know I might have to add this to one of my labs on chemical reactions that my class is going to do in the next semester.. along with chemical copper plating

I should suggest this to my cousin -- he teaches HS chemistry, too.

Since I did these holsters in vinegaroon I do them all in it, works for me.

IMG_0625.jpg

Shoot... the leather on those holsters looks so good that now I'm gonna have to try this method for sure. Back to brewing up stuff in the basement. I feel like I'm going back to the 60's!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit: Ok if I'm gonna fool with this stuff I want to know what I'm dealing with. Here is the MSDS sheet on Ferric Acetate.

http://www.pfaltzandbauer.com/data/uploade...MSDS-072506.pdf

And here is an interesting little article about some scientists who were trying to brew up their own batch to stain some chromosomes. It shows the chemistry and some interesting things about process steps and soluability.

http://article.pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ppv/RPV...p;startPage=527

OK I used to be the curator of the chemistry lab at a University. I am not a chemist but I always like fooling with chemicals!! In the labs I learned that this can be a passion that can get you into trouble very fast. So be careful!! Ordinary things can quickly become extraordinary.

Edited by Bree

Rhome - beautiful work!

A note - if you're not getting real good black add some tannins - brew up some real strong black tea and either apply first and then immediatley add apply the vinegaroon or mix the two.......

I feel like I'm going back to the 60's!

I don't think I ever left....... :rolleyes:

A comment about the above posts on warming the vinegar: I picked up a 2 quart tupperware pitcher at a garage sale, filled it about 3/4 full of vinegar, dropped in a handful of rusty nails and set it in a window in the sun - like making 'sun tea'. Every morning the sun comes up again. Works great! The vinegar may work 'faster' when hot but even just warm it works fine.