Bindlund

Holes Blowout On Opposite

Today I was making a laptop case from 6/7 ounce veg tan herman oak. I used masters contact cement to glue the fold over body of the case. After marking my lines where I want my stitch, I punched my holes as usual. The side where I made my holes with a 5 prong punch tool, (sharpened with jewelers rouge) before hand, so my tool was sharp. After stitching up one side of the case, I noticed that the thread was going underneath the stitch line on the opposite end, like the punch on the opposite end blew out. Does anyone know why this might have happened? Right now Im using a polyurethane cutting board. Im wandering if the density of the cutting board doesn't allow for the tool to penetrate the leather fluidly through both sides of the 6/7 ounce veg tan. Anyone have any ideas or advice? Thanks

attached is a photo

post-66853-0-49566000-1451686007_thumb.j

I have had some HO leather do this as well with both my awl and lacing chisels. I found out that the specific finish that was using had made the leather brittle and it would basically crack the leather along the stitching/lacing line as if it had been cut through. What type of finish did you use on this project?

I havent applied any finish to the leather yet. I usually use aussie leather conditioner after I get done sewing up the sides. Thats funny that you've had that happen before to herman oak leather, I thought it was a high quality leather.

There are times when a piece slips through that just doesn't hold up as well as the rest and you may have caught that one. It happens everywhere unfortunately. HO is a very high quality leather but it is after all still the skin of an animal and no matter what you do to it there are some things that just can't be factored into the process. I stand by HO and their product because it has had very few issues over my years in working with leather. Another thing to consider is the grade of leather being used. Every brand has the range of economy to Premium and the lower grades are at risk for more issues; I know several leather workers that are using some of the finest brand leathers but at their lower grades so as to save a buck or two, it ends up showing in the waste and issues that they experience. Make sure when you are getting your leather that you know for a fact that the grade/quality that you have asked for is what you end up receiving; saves some surprises in the long run.

Good luck with your endeavors and may this year be a prosperous one.

The other thing i am noticing is the pattern, you have 3 good stitches and 2 bad ones then 3 good ones again. If you rock/tilt the 5 point chisel too much the outside holes will be on an angle, When you overlap the punch strikes, and angle the chisel, you blow out the end holes. 12-14oz is quite a bit to punch all the way through and be able to get the punch out easy. You may want to adjust your technique to punch the two sides separate, or go to an awl in hand stitch technique to finish the holes.

I will sometimes punch before gluing, and use toothpicks in every few holes to keep already punched holes aligned. In thick leather only punch through the first layer, and a little further to mark the second, Then punch the second layer with the first removed using the marks from the first hit.

Might also depend on where that bottom piece came off the hide.Down towards the belly is almost always softer.....

TinkerTailor- Thats a great idea! thanks for the advice!

I did solve my problem. Turned out it was my chisel that was doing the damage. I went into my leather supplier and asked tons of questions to as what could be causing the blowout. One guy there, out of 4 people, asked which chisel I was using. I was using an osborne 700 chisel, which is great, but it gets wider as it goes away from the point, that extra thickness of the stem of each point created the blowout. He ended up letting me use one of his personal chisels that got the job done. Attached are photos of the two. Left is the osborne 700. Thank You everyone!

Here is the photo mentioned above

post-66853-0-57776300-1451768828_thumb.j

with all due respect, thronging chisels are meant only to penetrate the back side...they are only meant as a guide...meaning- just hittem hard enough to puncture the back side