mrfixit

Horsehide Holster Questions

It's been a while, a few years actually since I was here and active in any way. Back in '11 I made a few Belt holsters for myself with mag pouches. I started with cowhide, and moved to horsehide. Jeff Hays was quite a bit of help with patterns. I finally made a nice natural horsehide set for my 1911, and was so satisfied that I pretty much stopped making holsters all together. I never intended to do them for anyone else, and I haven't changed my outlook. I've made a few knife sheaths for fun too. The holster has been worn on duty as an investigator 40 hours a day since I got it done, still looks great.

But here I am again, and it's been so long since I did any work with horsehide I forgot a lot of what I thought I knew.

My plan is to make a new holster for a different pistol. I have a FN Hi Power that I would like to start carrying on duty. Since the last horsehide rig has lasted so well, I would like to make another for the FN.

My questions are who has quality horse butts now? I'm looking for heavy and with the natural markings or tiger striping. The last holster was left natural, but I can't remember what the finish was. So, what is the recommended finish for horsehide? 50-50 mop n glo with water still a good plan?

Horse butts are a bit hard to come by in my area. I've been told that several of the companies that make hybrid-type holsters are getting most of the horse butts. I was at Springfield Leather Co. a couple weeks ago and they finally had a few scrap pieces, but that was it.

I have bought all of my horsehides at Springfield Leather. I made a few 1911 holsters as well. The stuff I bought was 6/7oz horsehide belly, but it was narrower and shorter compared to cowhide bellies, but you can still get 2 or three nice holsters out of it. I'm sure there are better finishes, but I airbrush oil dye then apply 50/50 Resoline. Horsehide don't form and tool like cow, but that is my preference as well when I'm making one for myself.

Give Zack White a try. They had horse butts a while back.