leathervan

What Is The Best Metal To Use For A Stamp?

I plan on having my own stamp cast in some kind of metal. Since the stamp is to be used only on leather I would think almost any kind of metal would do the trick. However maybe there is a standard type of metal that is used by leatherworkers.

I have some in 1018 which are good, I have some in O-1 that are excellent. If it is a basketweave or border stamp then O-1 or some high carbon chrome alloy would be good as these stamps take a beating. Ask Barry King what he uses for his stamps as they hold-up very well.

Depending on your timeframe, Bob Beard can make you whatever you want, and it will be better than cast both detail and use wise.

Art

When you say you want to have a stamp cast are you thinking of the molten metal kind of casting? the stamps I have made have all been filed and sawed out of Stainless steel bolts. I did do a makers mark for a friend out of bronze using the lost wax casting method, (make a wax pattern, bed it in investment compound (hi tech plaster) heat the mold to remove the wax and pour in the molten bronze.

I would think that if your stamp has to be cast you would be looking at bronze, something that any person doing lost wax casting would be capable of, would give you the best detail, high strength and probably the simplest. Casting iron and steel are something I am not familiar with, and uses a sand mold which would not have as much detail. There is a ceramic shell casting method for steel, but it is used by the very large commercial foundries and beyond the capabilities of us hobby metal workers...

Assuming you're talking about a makers or brand mark, get magnesium dies for hot foil stamping from Owosso in Michigan. They are suitable for cold marking as well. They are the industry standard for thousands of impressions.

A 5x5 sheet of dies cut however you want costs less than a laser cut delrin mark and are far superior. All you need is a cheap Harbor Freight arbor press and you're in business.