I'd like to make a copy of the rig used by McQueen in The Magnificent Seven. The only problem I have is with the rear of the holster as I haven't been able to find any photos of it (they all show the front!). It appears that the holster is basically one piece, with the belt loop (shank?) folding over the belt and is then attached to the back of the holster.

So, how is it attached, what shape is the rear piece and how far down does it extend?

Anyone know?

The rig is called the walk and draw. It was made by Andy Andersen. The holster is metal lined and has wings on it that fit on the hip which is metal lined.

Andy made the rig for me in the 60's. I have the holster and can take some pictures for you. This is my email address longtooth47562@yahoo.com.

Nice article Tugadude, I'm planning in the future to make a replica of the rig worn by Clin Eastwood, and I'm starting collecting info!

I agree, nice article. And it references other sites where you can glean more info.

Already been to that site, lots of good info but no help to me.

Longtooth, that would be great! I'll send you my email address. I've read a lot about Andy Andersen, and his holsters/belts, and seen lots of photos - but nothing about the back of the holster. I could make it up, of course, and just do my own thing, but it would be nice to "get it right" in homage to the man.

Unfortunately, I will have to make the holster a little longer than the McQueen version as while I have long-barreled revolvers I don't particularly want to remove the front sights (which will probably catch on a shorter holster).

I sent you a email.

The holsters are two ply. 8-9 ounce outer and a 5-6 ounce liner. I sandwich two t-nuts in holes punched in the back of the outer. Then I punch corresponding holes in the back flap and secure with screws. T-nuts are preferred because they will not spin when you tighten the screws.

A lot of holster makers put a welt in the holster but I do not tolerate welts. Too bulky looking.

post-36503-0-47044000-1452314050_thumb.j

post-36503-0-67269900-1452314119_thumb.j

post-36503-0-78062600-1452314899_thumb.j

Nice rigs, Red Cent, but the back of McQueen's holster is different to yours, the belt-loop fold-over on his is shorter and folded in tight to the belt. It also appears to be attached to the holster immediately under the belt, to hold the holster rigidly in place. This detail is what I can't find. Longtooth sent me some photos of what I suspect is a later holster and I can make an educated guess, based on how Andersen made this one.

But it would be nice to get it right. Might have to borrow the movie again and watch carefully for any shots of the holster.

Mine are built for SASS and most do not like the tight to the body position of the grip. That is why my screws are lower. And I leave a large curve where the flap goes over the belt. If the buyer wants to wet it and compress it, they can get the close to the body grip position.The extended backflap provides additional stiffness. Mernickle has two T-nuts just under the belt that snugs the holster to the belt and it will not move. Bob built my first custom rig around 2003. He places a third screw at the bottom of the back flap. This arrangement is typical of the IPSC/USPSA holsters back in my time.

Kirkpatrick uses a sandwiched T-nut as I do mounted on the inside of the back flap to keep the holster from coming up with the gun in case, heaven forbid, one would make a clumsy draw.

A holster made with a thickness equal to approximately 14 ounce leather with the additional strength of the glue and good stitching will make for a lethal weapon. Mine will sound like a hollow log if you tap it. Combine that with a belt of about equal strength and you do not have any flex.

The attached picture is one of G.W. Davis, an originator of SASS and a highly gifted holster maker. I have this rig in rough out. Picture also attached. Note the extended back flap. Davis ran with Alfonso, Andy Anderson, Ernie Hill, and others.

And thank you Dikman and Tugadude.

BTW. And I apologize for the blatant showing off.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ca/CA23_23/ca23_23.html

post-36503-0-85800000-1452363334_thumb.j

post-36503-0-32922300-1452363396_thumb.j

I figured there had to be a reason that you made them like you did, Red Cent. From what I could see in the movie, on McQueen's holster the back flap appears to finish just under the belt and doesn't extend down, as in a skirt.

I've only made three pairs of holsters thus far, and all have been what I might term fairly conventional. This thread, and the info I've gleaned thus far (thanks to longtooth and Red Cent) have given me a whole new insight into making holsters.

Lots of thinking going on in what passes for my brain.........

In sheer desperation, I watched the movie again but this time I was only interested in any scenes featuring McQueen's holster. I paused/slo-mo'd at any suitable scene. Unfortunately there isn't one single scene that gives a clear image of the back, but I can sort of extrapolate how it's made from a couple of side views and based on some excellent info that longtooth provided of what is a later, and more complex, Walk and Draw that Anderson made.

The holster is made with the mouth of the holster quite a bit below the bottom of the belt, the trigger guard rides on the top of the mouth and the front is cut low, presumably to help the barrel clear the holster. The belt loop folds over the belt and appears to be molded tightly to the belt. It looks like it carries on down the back of the holster, past the mouth and stops about half-way down the length of the holster (which isn't that far as it's designed for a shorter barrel than the 7 1/2" that McQueen uses).

Although on longtooth's model there is a skirt it uses three Chicago screws , in a triangular pattern, below the belt line and I'm guessing that this one would be similar in the way that the belt loop is attached to the back of the holster. The top two screws would probably be very close to the bottom of the belt line to keep the holster in place and stop it sliding around. On his later models Anderson used a cutout in the belt to locate the holster in place, but I couldn't see any sign of this in the movie. The belt itself may have a slight hip shaping to it, but I can't be sure as if it has it's very slight.

Please feel free to add to and/or correct any of this if anyone knows for sure that I'm wrong in any of my assumptions.

Son-of-a-gun! Thanks Red Cent, looks just like I was trying to describe, although in the film it still looks like the loop extends a bit further down the back (probably an optical delusion). Nice to know my reasoning was close.

Now I just have to make it.

I am working on a walk and draw holster for a Henry mares leg and I would like to know what you use for the hook for the saddle ring and that spring clip in the bottom ?

Sorry goertzen, I can't help as I'm referring to a revolver holster (as used in The Magnificent Seven).