tboyce

Dirty Dirty Stitches

I can't be the only one this happens to. When using lighter colored thread, I will notice that there is often a stitch or two that is darker (sometimes a lot darker) than the rest. Its because the thread, passing through the glue and being waxed is sticky and picks up a bit of dirt from the floor of the shop. And I keep my shop floor clean, it just seems that the thread attracts whatever dirt there is. I've tried going over the threads with a gum eraser and that seems to help but, what I'd like is a way to make them look pristine.

Has anyone else experienced this and, more importantly, have you found a solution?

I've found it with some threads, and not others. Using a waxed polyester this just doesn't happen - using a waxed thread of another nature... yeah. It happens a lot.

It helps to run the tip of a bone folder lightly over the stitches to sort of rub the stain into the thread.

Just rip it all out and re stitch, this time in black...... Is it therapeutic....or therapathetic?

Wash your hands before stitching, especially if you have been using dyes and edge stains!

Use clean beeswax when using light coloured threads. ie use a separate piece for light colours, and keep it in a container when not in use.

I hope this helps.

I use a toothbrush and some leather soap after stitching - to clean the stitching.

I've been frustrated by this too - a lot lately. I like the 'wash your hands before actually starting the stitching' idea. I've been doing a lot of stitching in the garage (until I get my true studio), and that place is not a clean environment to say the least. I keep everything pretty clean but it's inevitable sometimes. I can see washing the hands would definitely help. ... about the "clean" wax - this is another thing that I have noticed too, my wax gets pretty dirty looking. I'm using a small block of wax I got from Campbell-Randle, it's fairly white in color but besides getting dirty easily, it's firmer than I'd like. What is a good recommended wax to dedicate to light colored threads?

Doug C

Doug,

If the wax you are using is beeswax, it can be hard when cold. A little gentle warming by a few degrees will sort that. It could just be the difference between a warm room and a cold garage!

Re colour, just keep your eyes open for a light coloured beeswax and keep it that way!

Over on this side of The Pond, local beekeepers will often help out with wax foc. I expect, that similar to the UK, beekeeping is becoming popular in urban areas of the USA. So keep your eyes open for roof top beehives and honey for sale notices.

Regards.