joecool911

Thread Sources

I've been using .8 mm Tiger Thread. I've not found a USA supplier who has a reliable inventory. Second question is...any decent substitutes for Tiger thread? Looking to stay with poly .8 mm.

I've been working on solving this problem for the last 6 months. I've had issues/headaches with factories in China along the way, but I've finally found a good factory in Italy that can produce this type of thread for my store. This thread is not in stock yet (I have tested it, and it's good!), but will be ordering 0.6mm and 0.8mm thread soon. Target price is $25 for 500m. One nice thing is that you be able to get 0.6mm in 500m rolls, instead of 1000m; so it will be more affordable to have multiple colors.

If anyone has suggestions for colors, let me know.

Let us know when you get the new thread in. I will be interested.

Thanks,

Phill

I use .8 mm Tiger thread on my heavier projects, but I don't do enough heavier work to justify tracking down a source for the full rolls. I buy the small quantities off Etsy.

For all my regular lighter-weight work I use Maine Thread Company's waxed polycord. I really like working with it and it's actually made in the USA, which is great. Check out their website and request a sample card (which I believe is free.) I use their .03" for my stuff, but you'd likely want heavier to approach the .8 mm you're used to. They don't do braided thread, so I guess disregard if that's a deal breaker...

Anyway, it may or may not work for what you do, but I've had really good experiences dealing with them and their thread works great for me.

I've been working on solving this problem for the last 6 months. I've had issues/headaches with factories in China along the way, but I've finally found a good factory in Italy that can produce this type of thread for my store. This thread is not in stock yet (I have tested it, and it's good!), but will be ordering 0.6mm and 0.8mm thread soon. Target price is $25 for 500m. One nice thing is that you be able to get 0.6mm in 500m rolls, instead of 1000m; so it will be more affordable to have multiple colors.

Matt,

I have ordered 6 rolls of your other waxed thread and I am definitely interested in getting thread in 0.6 or 0.8 size. As soon as you stock it, I will order some rolls! Glad to see more options in the states.

- Garrett

Any chance of stocking 1.0mm?

Any chance of stocking 1.0mm?

Yes, I plan on expanding the line in the near future, but starting with 0.6 and 0.8 first.

Tiger thread is quite nice. There are alternatives that are nice and may be easier to find in the US. Maine Thread (waxed polycord that is twisted not braided) comes in a range of colors at thickness of .020" (0.5mm), 0.025" (0.63mm), 0.030" (0.75mm), all the way up to 0.05" (1.3mm or so). Also, Corus braid (nylon poly braid, unwaxed) comes in white and black 1 lb spools at a 1.0mm width. I recently found Atwood rope makes a thread that is 0.75mm braided unwaxed, and also a 1.2mm version. The 1.2mm version appears to have a core, but the 0.75mm did not. I bought their bright orange 1.2mm ad glow-in-the-dark 0.75mm, waxed, and tried them. These are not specifically for sewing and I found the 0.75mm did not lie as nice as Tiger thread or Maine thread, but testing is early. I just thought glow-in-the-dark thread was novel. Look at army-navy type stores for those threads.

Tiger thread is quite nice. There are alternatives that are nice and may be easier to find in the US. Maine Thread (waxed polycord that is twisted not braided) comes in a range of colors at thickness of .020" (0.5mm), 0.025" (0.63mm), 0.030" (0.75mm), all the way up to 0.05" (1.3mm or so). Also, Corus braid (nylon poly braid, unwaxed) comes in white and black 1 lb spools at a 1.0mm width. I recently found Atwood rope makes a thread that is 0.75mm braided unwaxed, and also a 1.2mm version. The 1.2mm version appears to have a core, but the 0.75mm did not. I bought their bright orange 1.2mm ad glow-in-the-dark 0.75mm, waxed, and tried them. These are not specifically for sewing and I found the 0.75mm did not lie as nice as Tiger thread or Maine thread, but testing is early. I just thought glow-in-the-dark thread was novel. Look at army-navy type stores for those threads.

I just received four spools of 0.8 mm Tiger thread from Abbey England. With shipping cost was $119.00.

rick