alancolyer

How Do I Finish The Flesh Side?

I use shoe polish, can use, black , clear or brown, burnish first then polish as you would a shoe or per instructions on can , works great i use a horse hair brush for the final polish,

On 1/11/2016 at 2:28 PM, alancolyer said:

just reporting back, I tried the wax & neatsfoot mix and it worked perfectly. rubbed it on, used a heatgun to melt it in, then burnished for a great finish. worked well on even very fuzzy leather, and feels smooth enough, even has a nice shine.

thanks for the knowledge Dwight

Will a hair dryer work if I don't have a heat gun?

31 minutes ago, QueenMommy said:

Will a hair dryer work if I don't have a heat gun?

I use a hair dryer and it works fine. I have a hair dryer just for this kind of stuff and what I did was make a funnel out of some light cardboard and taped it to the end of the hair dryer to concentrate the heat a bit more and works like a charm

On 3/15/2016 at 8:10 PM, Harry Marinakis said:

belt sander (220 grit) until smooth

Hi Harry, I'm planning on getting a belt sander to smooth the raw side of my veg tan too.  Could you recommend a brand/model.

Thanks much.

Bobbie

On 12/24/2023 at 7:03 PM, Bobbie said:

Hi Harry, I'm planning on getting a belt sander to smooth the raw side of my veg tan too.  Could you recommend a brand/model.

Thanks much.

Bobbie

Cheap 4x36 belt sander. They don't last long, plan on replacing it every 5 years.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, Bobbie said:

Thanks much.

Bobbie

I got a porter and cable belt sander from lowes 5 years ago. Running strong still under 200 bucks if I remember right.