KimRulien

how do I sharpen a beveler

Hi everyone! I have a cheepy beveler from Tandy...it is dull (oh this happens so fast!) how do I sharpen the dang thing? Where can I buy a fancy-smancy one that won't get dull so fast? thanks, Kim

I use 1000grit sandpaper on a flat surface.

Take it and lay it flat so that it is just at the edge of the shiny portion and draw it away from the tip (toward the handle) while raising it in its natural arc.

Its kind of hard to explain for me but basically the shinny portion on the back, thats what you want to repolish, this puts the edge back on the cutting surface.

Also same thing works for the french skiver they sell.

Edited by MADMAX22

I use my old nail files (emery boards)..the smooth ones used for buffing nails.

For the inside of the bevel I coat a length of linen thread with jewelers rouge run the beveler down the string.

Depends on the type of beveler.

I assume you mean edge bevelers. You can use a string loaded with jeweler's rouge or a long thong of thicker lace cut from veg tan and loaded with rouge, but this will take you a while. you basically pull it through the tool away from the edge. you can also glue this lace down to a piece of wood and pull your tool along the lace.

You can also use a dremel tool with a washer cut from a piece of leather and put onto a dremel shaft. (Bevel the edges of the washer to get a v shaped edge and load it with rouge. sharpen with the wheel rotating away from the edge. Sharpen the bottom only, trying to sharpen the top will only get the leather stuck between the inside walls of the tool. you can then knock of the wire burr on the top with a piece of folded sand paper.

For perfect edger tools out of the box, Barry King, Jerimiah Watt, or Ron's tools. I prefer Barry's but that's my opinion. Be prepared for about 50 to 60 bucks a tool, but I think they're WELL WORTH IT.

Edited by Rawhide

Depends on the type of beveler.

I assume you mean edge bevelers. You can use a string loaded with jeweler's rouge or a long thong of thicker lace cut from veg tan and loaded with rouge, but this will take you a while. you basically pull it through the tool away from the edge. you can also glue this lace down to a piece of wood and pull your tool along the lace.

You can also use a dremel tool with a washer cut from a piece of leather and put onto a dremel shaft. (Bevel the edges of the washer to get a v shaped edge and load it with rouge. sharpen with the wheel rotating away from the edge. Sharpen the bottom only, trying to sharpen the top will only get the leather stuck between the inside walls of the tool. you can then knock of the wire burr on the top with a piece of folded sand paper.

For perfect edger tools out of the box, Barry King, Jerimiah Watt, or Ron's tools. I prefer Barry's but that's my opinion. Be prepared for about 50 to 60 bucks a tool, but I think they're WELL WORTH IT.

Thanks you guys! I looked all over for this topic but it was late, and I guess I did not search correctly...I get the idea of how to do this, now to find the jewlers rouge...should I just buy online, or is there a type of shop to find this stuff?

This forum and everyone on it are so helpful...I read about burnishing for about and hour last night.

I have a question about that but will post a new tiopic! Cool

Thanks you guys! I looked all over for this topic but it was late, and I guess I did not search correctly...I get the idea of how to do this, now to find the jewlers rouge...should I just buy online, or is there a type of shop to find this stuff?

This forum and everyone on it are so helpful...I read about burnishing for about and hour last night.

I have a question about that but will post a new tiopic! Cool

You can get white jeweler's rouge from tandy, white, red or green from woodcraft, or northern tools. The difference between them is the amount of cutting action. order of progression: white, red, green where green is the high polish.