NoahFett

Tutorial Recommendation

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a good tutorial that takes you from the beginning to the end of a leatherworking project such as a wallet. I'd like to find a tutorial that includes recommendations on what type of leather to buy (for lining and the wallet), cutting the leather, dyes to use, stitching, what type of thread, tools, etc. Basically something that includes all the aspects of leatherworking. That's not too much to ask, right;D Any medium is good with me, books, ebooks, video, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Noah

Look up Armitage Leather and Leodis leather on youtube. Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson both have tons of great tutorials. Nigel's stitching videos are top notch.

Look up uksaddlery. I just uploaded a simple note book cover. The video is in3 parts because it took six hours to upload each one

Look up uksaddlery. I just uploaded a simple note book cover. The video is in3 parts because it took six hours to upload each one

Just watched part 1 and 2. Nice work. I like your videos and can't wait for all the good stuff you are going to make with that new camera.

Arthur Porter youtube

Look up Armitage Leather and Leodis leather on youtube. Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson both have tons of great tutorials. Nigel's stitching videos are top notch.

I checked these out, very helpful. Thanks!

I will check it out and subscribe;)

Arthur Porter youtube

I'll check this one out too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have spent hours watching Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage. They have a ton of knowledge and have some of the best tool reviews out there when you look to expand/upgrade the tool set. Both also sell plans with instructions (sometimes printed instructions, sometimes the instructions are in a youtube video.) I bought a couple of Ian's wallet plans when I was first starting out and they're great.

There are a couple of professional saddle makers with excellent carving and tooling videos on youtube. Keith Valley and Bruce Cheaney are ones I can remember off hand, but search them out see if they're helpful.

For books I recommend Valerie Michael's "The Leatherworking Handbook." It's a little more "luxury" type products than I usually do, but a fantastic resource. Some of the Stohlman books are good as far as technique, saddle stitching, tooling, etc.

And then there's this site; someone on here has almost certainly done whatever you want to do and will have advice. Finding this forum when you're starting out is the best help you can get!

I have spent hours watching Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage. They have a ton of knowledge and have some of the best tool reviews out there when you look to expand/upgrade the tool set. Both also sell plans with instructions (sometimes printed instructions, sometimes the instructions are in a youtube video.) I bought a couple of Ian's wallet plans when I was first starting out and they're great.

There are a couple of professional saddle makers with excellent carving and tooling videos on youtube. Keith Valley and Bruce Cheaney are ones I can remember off hand, but search them out see if they're helpful.

For books I recommend Valerie Michael's "The Leatherworking Handbook." It's a little more "luxury" type products than I usually do, but a fantastic resource. Some of the Stohlman books are good as far as technique, saddle stitching, tooling, etc.

And then there's this site; someone on here has almost certainly done whatever you want to do and will have advice. Finding this forum when you're starting out is the best help you can get!

Yeah, i've watched several of Ian's videos now and they are super helpful. Haven't done any stitching yet, but it sure helped me get a better understanding of what it entails. I'll have to check out those saddle guys, thanks for the recommendation!