jroberts3001

So Many Choices For A Beginner

I am really having a hard time figuring out what kind of machine to get! I want something I can do holster with. I really have NO idea what to look for. Can some one please help me out?

Being a beginner I want to keep as much control as I can so I would prefer a machine to where I can slow down.

Any suggestions would be helpful

call Ron at Techsew...he can help you get started

just go to Techsew.com

I am really having a hard time figuring out what kind of machine to get! I want something I can do holster with. I really have NO idea what to look for. Can some one please help me out?

Being a beginner I want to keep as much control as I can so I would prefer a machine to where I can slow down.

Any suggestions would be helpful

I get all that with my Cowboy CB4500, which I bought from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. This machine can sew over 3/4 inches of hard leather, with up to #415 thread. I don't normally use anything bigger than #277, or, once in a while, #346 thread, as 44 or 66 pounds tensile strength per stitch seems to be enough for my projects.

Similar machines are the Cobra Class 4 and Techsew 5100.

If the CB4500 is too dear, look into its little brother, the Cowboy CB3200, also sold and serviced by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It costs much less and only sews 1/2 inch. But, it uses the same bobbins, needles and thread as the bigger machine.

These machines are part of a special class we call the 441 clones. They are based on a Juki TSC-441, which was first introduced in the late 1980s. That machine is still in production and sells for about $6,000 US. In contrast, you can buy two brand new Cowboy, Cobra, or Techsew 441 clones for less money than that one Juki.

The "sewing slow" part is really about the motor and a speed reducer pulley. Servo motors and speed reducers are your friend if you want to sew slow. Any industrial walking foot machine can sew slow with those two. The rest is about how thick of a stack of leather you intend to sew. Proper walking foot with triple top/bottom/needle "unison" feed is pretty much a given. Whatever you do, don't start complaining about the machine marking your leather. Few people care about the marks on the leather when they see the gun in that holster, or the bible in that cover.

Agree with Uwe about the marking!!!!!

Some marking is a given but learning to set your machine up - and many others have given some good tips on this - is up to the operator.

Hand sewing v machine sewing is a compromise.

Different types of machine are a compromise.

Different threads are a compromise.

Even stitch length is a compromise between appearance and speed.

There is no such thing as "perfect" so you need to find a balance between what you want/need/money and by talking to the dealers you can make an informed choice. Take a piece of your work to one of the dealers and they are going to be more than happy to show you how to use the machine doing that job. These are top end sewing machines and anyone in sales worth their salt will be more than willing to help

Most beginners have a limited budget, what's your? If you should sew holsters you will at least need a Juki TSC 441 or a Adler 205-370 clone. Most reasonable machine that do the job will be a short arm 441 clone like Cobra 3 or Cowboy 3500. They are all tripple feed cylinder bed machines that will sew 7/8 of an inch with heavy threads. You have a new cheaper option too, the cowboy 3200 that will sew up to an 1/2 inch (tripple feed, cyl bed and heavy threads) Buying from one of our forum dealer would be the smartest option. They will ensure you service, warranty and most important; support. If you are an very rich man you could buy the new Duerkopp Adler 969 H, who is the "Rolls Roys" of leather machines today. Or perhaps A Campbell Randall Needle and awl high lift. However, that's hardly a beginners machine, but it will lay down a stitch more beautiful and powerful than anything else. The options are many if your budget is unlimited. Myself, I started on the bottom with hand sewing, old cheap machines and eventually ended up with an a Juki 441 clone/Japanese hook and Efka 1550 motor. That is all the machine I need for heavy stuff, I will use it until it breaks down. That is if it breaks down, I do have several other smaller machines and I cannot use them all at once. Therfore, the runtime on it will be limited; I doubt I ever will be able to wear it out.

I choose the 441 clone because of its power, superior high foot lift, long arm and it's heavy thread sizes. An important factor for me was the easily available and quantity of attachments for it. They are available for reasonable prices too. If you take a look at what original Duerkopp Adler attachment cost you will understand. However, now a days aftermarket attachment are available for DA Machines/clones too. When I bought my machine there was only a few. If you are going to sew a variety of different jobs like me, you will need a lot of them. Different needle plates and presser feets. Take a look at what dealers offers on included attachments, these are expensive buying alone. There are good deals to be made for those who do they research well. Check what type of servo motor and/if speed reducer (depended of motor brand, some motors do not accept speed reducer). Search the forum on servo motor reviews, there have been some issues with Chinese servo motors.

Good Luck

Tor

I get all that with my Cowboy CB4500, which I bought from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. This machine can sew over 3/4 inches of hard leather, with up to #415 thread. I don't normally use anything bigger than #277, or, once in a while, #346 thread, as 44 or 66 pounds tensile strength per stitch seems to be enough for my projects.

Similar machines are the Cobra Class 4 and Techsew 5100.

If the CB4500 is too dear, look into its little brother, the Cowboy CB3200, also sold and serviced by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It costs much less and only sews 1/2 inch. But, it uses the same bobbins, needles and thread as the bigger machine.

These machines are part of a special class we call the 441 clones. They are based on a Juki TSC-441, which was first introduced in the late 1980s. That machine is still in production and sells for about $6,000 US. In contrast, you can buy two brand new Cowboy, Cobra, or Techsew 441 clones for less money than that one Juki.

This ^

In my experience, you will want that the full size 441 clone that will sew a full 7/8" thick leather. Holsters can get thick quick, and having a machine that is too small will limit what you can do.

I agree with Colt. Get the maximum from the start. Contact all of the advertisers on this site and gather up all of the info so you can make an educated decision.