I'm currently looking to get into holster making. I'm looking to make some pancakes and iwb type holsters. Though my research I have found that 7/8 seems to be pretty common weight. My question is do I need to line that with maybe 2/3 oz? If so what does everyone think about using 4/5 and lining with the same weight?

The reason I'm considering 4/5 is that I could also possibly use that for maybe some wallet type things also.

Thank you all for the help and inspiration. Mahalo

I use more 7/8 than anything else. But adding two layers that add up to 8 oz is fine. May be a little more stitching / thinking involved, but that works.

That would need to be a pretty big gun to cause me to use 11 or 12 oz leather.

For most all of my holsters I use two layers of 4/5oz leather. It provides good weight and strength and holds molding well. Mike

8/9 for half pancakes and IWBs. Requested, I will add suede or thin leather, smooth side out, to the back of either. 8/9 plus 5/6 for SASS holsters and field carry full size handguns.

I'm currently looking to get into holster making. I'm looking to make some pancakes and iwb type holsters. Though my research I have found that 7/8 seems to be pretty common weight. My question is do I need to line that with maybe 2/3 oz? If so what does everyone think about using 4/5 and lining with the same weight?

The reason I'm considering 4/5 is that I could also possibly use that for maybe some wallet type things also.

Thank you all for the help and inspiration. Mahalo

Unless you are making a shoulder holster for a S&W 500, . . . with a 24 inch barrel, . . . the 4/5 should work well, . . . I do that a lot.