Sign in to follow this  
Froghunter

I DO Exist!!

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a while since I been around what with getting my store fine tuned to my liking but I have been offering classes and they have been UBER successful!

Here is the latest project class we did at the store, it's a end table lamp. The construction is quite simple as you can probably tell from the pics. The students had a great time and I'll post pics of theirs as well as they finish up their projects.

I started with a 12X13 piece of 8/9 oz 2nd quality leather, 2 3X5 and 1 6X9 pieces of craft wood (A.C. Moore) and a lamp kit and various pieces from Home Depot.

Well here are the photos....and a BIG thanks to Marji who works for me for the idea of useing the "Birth of Venus" in this piece! Hopefully ZI'll get a pic with the lamp shade in place too!!

Enjoy! and critique away, I gots big shoulders!! =o)

DSCF2969_copy.jpg

lamp_1_copy.jpg

base_wood.jpg

best_front.jpg

back_completed.jpg

post-5734-1229011230_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1229011254_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1229011267_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1229011292_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1229011299_thumb.jpg

Isn't it great to be busy?! Glad to hear the classes are going well - I am envious, wish I could be there.

Absolutely love that design!! That is just too cool! :thumbsup:

Crystal

I can just second on Crystal...

So happy everything goes well and wish we could see ya here a wee bit more:-)

Frog,

Very nice lamp!

Really like the desin.

Couple of questions, did you use resist on Venus of dye a different color and did you use leather stains on the wood parts?

Johnny

Frog,

Very nice lamp!

Really like the desin.

Couple of questions, did you use resist on Venus of dye a different color and did you use leather stains on the wood parts?

Johnny

Thanks for all the kind words! And don't you worry Tina, I plan on being around more as things are finally starting to gel at the store!

To answer your questions Johnny, Yes I used block out on the venus, I also used a watered down yellow cova on her hair, it's hard to see on the photo, but looks GREAT in person! =o) And yes, the wood was stained with the same Eco-Flo Tan antique gel as the leather was. The water based dyes work wonderfully on wood as well as leather. And if you are using a tighter grained hard wood, the effect leads to a monolithic look. Of course, I used cheap pine, but the tonality of the color makes them match pretty well.

Hope that answers your question.

Hi Froghunter,

Glad to hear your classes are going well, it's a Tandy store right? I just started working at a newer store in California with a new management and we'd also like to see our classes grow. Can I pm you with some questions on how you do yours? Awesome lamps.

tracy

I was wondering what you had planned for this piece. Looks really nice.

Looks great bro!

I love your work!

William

Most Splendid!

I always like to say mythic themes in leather work.

Hope to get out to Charlton in the New Year to say "Hi"!

Unfortunately, public transportation from Worcester to Charlton seems about nil for now!

swivelsphinx

Most Splendid!

I always like to say mythic themes in leather work.

Hope to get out to Charlton in the New Year to say "Hi"!

Unfortunately, public transportation from Worcester to Charlton seems about nil for now!

swivelsphinx

:wavey: Froggy's store is in Chelmsford -- even less public transport, sadly. :-(