Tim Schroeder

Landis 12 Sewing Machine

I just bought a Landis 12 from an auction. I think the price is probably right if it works. My question is: Are all Landis 12 machines curved needle. This is just a landis 12 no letter. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Tim Schroeder

There is a Landis No. 12 Model 88A that is a McKay chainstitch machine, but generally a Landis 12 refers to a curved needle and awl lockstitch machine for sewing soles on boots and shoes. To my knowledge the first model was the F followed by the G, K, and L. Each one supposedly had improvements over the previous.

This machine just has Landis 12. No letter. I paid $610 and I will have to drive 3 1/2 hours to go pick it up. Figured I could drive there and back next Sat. In the picture it was threaded so I hope it is in working condition. It was from a boot shop auction.

My mistake. Looking at the pictures closer I can see MODEL F on the base.

Edited by Tim Schroeder

Well, you paid about a dollar a pound for the beast. She's a very big girl and when you're dancing with her while loading and unloading she likes to lead. Speaking of dancing, if you get her stitching you're going to have to learn to dance to her tune in order to sew well. Best of Luck.

Thanks for the warning/advice. I am a wannabe boot maker. I am hoping this machine works since I was not at the auction to check it out.

Curved needle Landis machines often prefer soft rock, or soft Country Music. Speak softly when you talk to her. She is a good dancer, so don't try to lead. Just hold the shoe sole bottom side up and say words.

Everything you need to know can be learned here, on this video.

Edited by Wizcrafts

When my Singers are in a bad mood (happens seldom) they seem to like The Doors (Brake on Through) and Rolling Stones (Paint it Baack) very much - and fresh oil! But sometimes they need "Mothers little Helpers" (the machines only) :rofl:

The sewing machine fairies that infest my workshop are huge fans of 1970's English Punk and early 1980's music. A good blast of Adam Ant gets them going but for fine work they seem to respond best to Kraftwerk

Anne Clark as well...

I guess the ChiCom machines work best with this kind of music :rofl:

We are a bit off topic I think :whistle:

My sewing machines in the shop prefer to listen to KWKZ FM on the Internet. They play classic country and new traditional country music that doesn't get national airplay by the bubblegum networks, like Cumulus. A few drops of oil, plus bright lights and country music has those machines singing their own song!

Tim, all jokes aside, when you pick up the machine there are a couple of things I would do before even thinking about moving it. First, I would remove the foot pedal. It is just sticking out there begging to be broken off. The cast mounting plate for the motor can be fragile. Ask if there are any wrenches that go with it. It uses square male and female ones that are important to have.Same thing for any bobbins, needles, awls or parts.... grab them if they are there. Manuals for downloading are easy to find.

Contact Pilgrim Shoe in Massachusetts. Harris there has manuals, parts and tools. The curved Landis #12 machine started with the Model A and went from there using the alphabet for newer models. The last ones made were the Model 12 L.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Thanks Machine Head and Glenn, Appreciate the info. Thought I was going to have to take dance lessons there for awhile. Hope she likes Willie, Waylon, Merle and Johnny.

Thanks Again Tim

Well I managed to get the machine home and unloaded without to much trouble. She definitely likes to lead whether you want her to or not. Looks like everything is working but it needs a good cleaning. The Auction guys opened the top cover and let it fall in the back and broke a big junk out of the back of the top cover and then shoved the giant broken piece in the middle of the machine. Any suggestions on how to go about cleaning 60 to 70 years of oil and dirt.

I would like to know what size thread and what kind of thread is used for sewing the soles on Cowboy boots. I am going to buy a new awl and needle and need to know what size to order.

Another question will be how to sew two rows of stitching since there is not any adjustment in the edge guide.

Thanks for any help, Tim

Any suggestions on how to go about cleaning 60 to 70 years of oil and dirt.

Grease. The elbow kind. Solvents and degreasers and elbow grease. The stronger the cleaner and the longer the contact time, the less elbow grease needed.

Simple green extreme works pretty good. So does WD40. It is a great grunge buster. Get the jug, not the spray can and brush it on. Use soap (simple green) after you let it sit with wd40 on the goop for a day and then have scrubbed it. The wd40 dissolves the grunge, and the soap cuts the wd40. Warming the whole machine up will help immensely. Soak all the parts with wd40, turn the shop heat up a notch or two past comfortable for a day or so and then clean it. Old grungey goo is wayyyyy more stubborn when cold. Use warmed solutions as well.

Rinse and repeat.

After cleansing, i recommend an all over moisturizing with some lightweight oil......Girls like the spa..

Also, If she is a she, i would play a little Patsy and see how she likes it.

The curved Landis #12 machine started with the Model A and went from there using the alphabet for newer models. The last ones made were the Model 12 L.

glenn

Hey Glenn... Thanks for setting me straight on this. My memory comes and goes. And to think I used to work in a shop that had a Model E curved needle that was a spare machine. It wasn't in the main work area but I would walk past it several times a day.Try as I might though, I can't remember seeing the earlier A,B, or C models yet. Maybe I need to go out to my shop and see if there are any there. :dunno:

Tim, how are you coming along with your curved needle?

Hi Machine head, I really haven't had time to mess with it yet. I have talked to Harris at Pilgrim Shoe and he sounds like he will be very helpful. He has an adjustable edge guide that will make it possible to run two rows of stitching.

I am making a pair of boots for my daughter that were suppose to be done for Christmas. I will take them to a local shoe repair man to sew them up when finished. Hoping to get my Landis going after these boots.