Trumpstylz

Thoughts On Vachetta Leather Vs Harness And English Bridle

I was reading up on Vachetta leather, but there was very little information on it online other than generic information that applies to all veg tanned leather. Does anyone have any experience with European Vachetta or can any of you shed light on the differences between this and other types? Thanks.

Also- I'm mostly interested in it for belts.

I believe it is just veg tan leather without any finishing treatment at all.

Is there anything special about it though?

And just curious- finishing treatments are good or bad for developing a patina? And when a leather belt is referred to as "natural", does that mean it usually has not been finished or does it mean that it has had a finishing treatment?

Is it nothing special when compared to say Hermann Oak natural veg tanned leather?

Edited by Trumpstylz

European here. Well what do you wanna know really?

Vachetta is a vague term that I don't come across very often when dealing with tanneries.

But it usually covers vegtetable tanned and aniline hides from cows or calfs. It's also used to describe a slightly softer/milled hide and sometimes also used to describe a flawless hide. And the "luxury" brands use it as a term to sell bags because it sounds Italian.

If you want to make belts, buy backs or butts of a descent thickness and you should be set. English bridle in the US is definitely not the same as proper English bridle and I also see that American harness differs from the harness leather I buy from Germany and England, so I would rather not advice you on that.