jfhspike

Adjustment Tool Suggestions

I have a Juki 562 with a bobbin-case that's captive (i.e., you have to undo a screw or two to remove the case). That makes adjusting the lower tension a pain...except that if I move the hook to the right position, I can see the lower-tension-adjusting screws, and can reach them with a jeweler's screwdriver...at an angle, because the screwdriver has to come down into the bobbin-case area from above. And that angle makes the adjustment a pain in the neck. Does everyone in the world except me have a "sawed-off jeweler's screwidriver" for situations like this? Or is there a proper tool for this job and I just don't know about it?

(I'm thinking that about 3/4" of screwdriver blade, with the back 1/4" wrapped in adhesive tape to give me something to grip...that might just about do the job, since not a lot of torque is required.)

Thanks in advance for suggestions (perhaps including "You're supposed to take the case out to adjust that, you idiot!")

I just use a SnapOn 3/32" potentiometer screwdriver at an angle. It's overall length is about 4-5". The difference is, the blades on the typical jeweler screw drivers suck. The SnapOn one has a hardened blade which holds its edge over time.

Regards, Eric

Edited by gottaknow

Hey Eric, Tip for you, most screwdrivers have a bevel grind causing them to grip the top of the slot and also cam out due to the wedging action. Quality gunsmith slot screwdrivers are hollow ground to be a little wider at the tip so the grip the bottom of the slot and do not cam out or mar the exterior of the screw. They are not cheap but for a guy like you they would be a great investment. I find they are a little more tolerant to angled use.. They also come in a better size selection for the weird screws in sewing machines. Guns and sewing machines, not to far apart really, I mean Singer adopted the arsenal system......

Edited by TinkerTailor

Thanks for the tip TT. I'm pretty happy with my #SGDEH306 SnapOn driver, $14 one time investment since SnapOn replaces it when it gets worn. The slots on tension screws are really shallow and require next to no torque, so the hollow ground thing is a non issue. I'm not unlike most mechanics when it comes to our tools. Opinionated, and passionate about things that we use all day long to make a living. I actually only use about 4 different screw drivers to make about 80% of my adjustments and repairs. Just out of curiosity, where's a good web site for gunsmith tools?

Regards, Eric

I found mine in a pawn shop. Unmarked but I saw the wood handles and had to bite. Discovered the tip difference when i got home.

To be honest i do not know much about the gun market, or the dealers of tools because I live in Canada where we have restricted firearm ownership, no auto weapon or handguns allowed and much lower gun crime than any of our neighbours....I make holsters for bicycle locks and beer....

Here is a set from brownells, they look to be a respected player:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/gunsmith-screwdrivers-prod6634.aspx

I bet this could be useful for thread tension duty, it measures pull from 1 oz to 5 lbs in 1/10 oz increments:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/trigger-pull-gauges-weights/electronic-trigger-pull-gauge-prod7956.aspx

Gun guys have alot of good tools. Files, reamers, punches, you name it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is sadly not the lack of hollow grind on the blades, but really a matter of angle (and the oval-head shape of the adjusting screw, which compounds the problem). I think I'll make myself one of those cutoff-mini-drivers I was describing and see how it works out...

They make mini-ratchets for hex shank bits like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ABC-Products-Screwdriver-Wrench-Phillips/dp/B00SIIDQMA

Dont know if this will help.

I have ground a slot tip on an allan key for stuff like this before.