MG513

Help! How To Relieve Foot Pressure On Consew 206 / Foot Leaves Marks

I'm pretty new to sewing. I have a consew 206RB in very good shape. The main purpose for me getting into the field is for shoe making. Before anybody goes there, I am aware that a post roller foot is the best machine for such work, but I didn't have post bed money. I bought a good machine that I could afford. I also plan to venture to other things which will require a flat bed.

Anyways, the foot marks my leather. I have already read the manual and loosened the screw at the very top to relieve some pressure, which did help. But I was told that there is a screw to loosen for the outer foot and inner foot, and since I'm a rookie I really don't know which one I loosened. It's the inner or "walking foot" that leaves marks, they can easily be rubbed out of suede, but not leather.

Anybody have some suggestions?? Even on tools that can rub marks out? Also, if you're interested in this machine shoot me a pm. If I can't figure out how to get this to stop marking my leather I MAY be looking to sell it to buy a machine that can. Located in Ohio. Thanks!!

post-63176-0-02285400-1453143075_thumb.j

Ask Gregg at Keystone for a link to his parts list and manual. Both are identified in the parts list.

Tom

Ok I will, thank you again!

Hi.

On the top of the machine there is a screw that you need to wind back a few turns. The screw is about midway on the top of the machines arm,and towards the rear. It's a screw that's recessed into the casting.

Also,if the centre foot is the one causing marks,you could remove the foot and take a sander to the teeth and take the sharpness from the teeth. I've done this on a few of my machines with great success. It's trial and error,so just take a bit off at a time and give it a whirl on some scrap material.

Hi.

On the top of the machine there is a screw that you need to wind back a few turns. The screw is about midway on the top of the machines arm,and towards the rear. It's a screw that's recessed into the casting.

Also,if the centre foot is the one causing marks,you could remove the foot and take a sander to the teeth and take the sharpness from the teeth. I've done this on a few of my machines with great success. It's trial and error,so just take a bit off at a time and give it a whirl on some scrap material.

Thanks for the response!!! Actually, my feet do not have teeth. They are completely smooth on the bottom.

And that screw you described, it is is this one yes??

post-63176-0-56316400-1453243556_thumb.j

Thanks for the response!!! Actually, my feet do not have teeth. They are completely smooth on the bottom.

And that screw you described, it is is this one yes??

No. That is the inside foot spring.

The outside foot is about half way along the arm towards the back. It contacts a flat spring that is the spring for the outside foot. You can see the spring from the back of the machine. If you follow it, you will see it connects to the linkage for the outside presser foot.

You really need to get the manuals for this machine so you can see what the parts are, and how they are used or adjusted. I downloaded the manuals from keystone some time in the past, but can't find them on his site anymore. Consew used to have a good site too, but I looked there as well, but didn't find the right link. Gregg's is a clean copy, easier to read than the others I've found.

Tom

No. That is the inside foot spring.

The outside foot is about half way along the arm towards the back. It contacts a flat spring that is the spring for the outside foot. You can see the spring from the back of the machine. If you follow it, you will see it connects to the linkage for the outside presser foot.

You really need to get the manuals for this machine so you can see what the parts are, and how they are used or adjusted. I downloaded the manuals from keystone some time in the past, but can't find them on his site anymore. Consew used to have a good site too, but I looked there as well, but didn't find the right link. Gregg's is a clean copy, easier to read than the others I've found.

Tom

Thank u guys so much. Sorry for the late reply been slammed with work. I'm gonna try all of this today after work at see if it helps.

Also would you guys suggest that I don't use veg tan? Since it does mark so easily anyway?? Maybe I should stick to 3-4 chrome or oil tanned leathers?? Thx!

The type of leather you use should be determined by its application. Not by your sewing machine.

"I" would get a replacement middle presser foot spring and try it. If little or no improvement, then I would take one of the springs and cut a 1/4" off of it and try again. Keep removing a 1/4" until you get the adjustment range that you want. Make it work for you.

Tom

Geek alert!

I've been giving this some thought because that foot pressure business has baffled me for a while and the inner foot spring setting never had any noticeable effect no matter how I adjusted it.

I've concluded that the inner presser foot spring shown in your picture has only little, incremental effect on how hard the inner presser foot presses down on the leather during the stitch cycle. Changing the spring or cutting a bit off will also have minimal effect.

This sounds weird and counterintuitive but the OUTER presser foot spring ALSO determines how hard the INNER foot presses down when outer foot lifts up. The pressure of outer and inner foot are NOT independent of each other, in fact they're closely and quite literally linked. This is because the outer foot actually uses the inner foot as leverage via linkages to lift up, against the spring that controls outer foot pressure. If you remove the inner foot entirely, the outer foot will not lift up at all because it needs the inner foot as leverage to press against the material in order to lift up.

I believe the main purpose of the inner presser foot spring is to ADD incremental pressure to the inner foot on top of what the outer foot spring already provides. Adjusting the inner spring will never allow you to lower the inner foot pressure below what the outer spring dictates.

I just now did a little experiment to back up my claim with some proof. I put a kitchen scale under my presser feet bars and moved the needle bar up so as not to interfere. I dialed the outer pressure foot spring low enough to get below the 10 lbs weight limit of my scale. I removed the inner presser foot spring adjustment knob entirely, so the inner spring was not pressing down at all.

With this setup and the inner foot spring totally out of play the outer foot bar pressed down registering 7.2 lbs:

post-56402-0-06236400-1454213353_thumb.j

and after turning the wheel a little the inner foot bar pressed down with 5.5 lbs:

post-56402-0-65334100-1454213371_thumb.j

The difference is likely due to linkage angle and lever lengths, but the two are proportional. If I dial up the outer foot spring pressure, so increases the inner foot pressure (all WITHOUT the inner foot spring involved at all)

Adding the inner foot spring control knob (the one in your picture) and cranking it all the way down for max inner foot spring pressure increased the inner foot pressure an additional 2.5 lbs over the initial value. This is the max the inner spring can ADD to outer spring.

The inner foot is also more likely to leave a mark because it has a much smaller footprint than the outer foot and exerts higher force per square inch with the same spring pressure (the skinny high heel of a shoe is more likely to leave a mark than the bigger front of the shoe, but your weight does not change as you walk.) So the small inner foot even at 5.5 lbs is much more likely to leave a mark than the bigger outer foot at 7.2lbs

I'd try dialing back the outer foot presser spring until it just barely holds on to the material when you tug on it and see if it makes a difference. Help guide the material with your hands as you sew to allow the machine to move the material easily and consistently with minimal foot pressure. Don't push or pull as it sews, just allow the machine to do the work with minimal force.

Sorry about the long and geeky post, but I hope it adds some clarity to this confounding foot pressure business.

Edited by Uwe

Geek or not, great work, great diagnostics. Much appreciated.

Users need to remember to keep enough outer foot pressure to keep the leather from lifting as the needle rises, else you'll be into skipped stitches ... You don't need a lot of extra pressure. It will vary with leather thickness and temper, as well as needle size.

Tom

I'm a bit confused which is the inner presser foot and which is the outer presser foot and which one primarily controls the amount of pressure, can someone clarify this for me.

Thanks

What I did with my Cowboy 4500 was take a hot glue gun and coat the presser foot with a glob of hot glue, after it dries take a file or grind off the excess on the underside leaving a 1/16 " of glue material on the foot. Works great. No more metal on leather marks.

Edited by spurdude101