bananaplum

Sewing Machines Available In Asia

I have taught myself leathercraft and have been making some accessories as a hobby for a few years now. I feel like I am very passionate about designing and making handbags and small leather goods, and I would like to expand it to a full-time business one day.

In order to increase my production rate, I am contemplating purchasing a leather sewing machine, however I am having no luck finding good models for my use in Hong Kong, where I am based. I don't think I will work with very heavy leather, just light to medium weight leather for garments and bags.

I saw some of the recommendations here for brands such as TechSew, Cobra, Cowboy, Consew, etc but shipping it to Hong Kong from the US will cost a lot of S&H and the plugs/voltage are not the same.

I saw quite a few people based in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia and wondered if anyone has any recommended dealers for leather sewing machines. Thank you for your help in advance!

Most of them machines are made down there anyways. Japsew is making a lot of them and exporting them. Keestar would be in Shaanxi, China. I'm not so sure on their real name. I believe they are going by Mechapex. However, this is their website http://www.keestarsew.com/

Good luck

It does seem like you're close to the source for sewing machines, not only for sewing machine factories, but also for lots of used machines from garment factories in China. Of course those used machines will often be well-worn by the time they are decommissioned from a factory.

And perhaps it's like Kiwis in Australia. When I was visiting there, locals were complaining that you can't buy decent Kiwis in Australia, because they're exporting all the nice ones and only the scrappy ones show up in local markets.

I was talking to folks at http://www.tomsewing.com/ in Xiamen to explore getting my hands on some used Juki TSC-441 machines. Nothing came of it, so I can't rate them, but they seem to be a good source for used industrial sewing machines within a day's trip of Hong Kong.

I'd recommend getting a machine that Kwok Hing (http://www.kwokhing.com) makes parts for - they are located right in Hong Kong and they make really nice quality sewing machine accessories.

Edited by Uwe

Most of them machines are made down there anyways. Japsew is making a lot of them and exporting them. Keestar would be in Shaanxi, China. I'm not so sure on their real name. I believe they are going by Mechapex. However, this is their website http://www.keestarsew.com/

Good luck

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Thor!

Shaanxi is good deal of distance away but it's a good start! I hope that I can get it through a dealer here as industrial machines seem to require a lot of adjustments and setup before they are usable... or so I've found on other threads during my research.

It's a great place to start, though. Thank you! :)

It does seem like you're close to the source for sewing machines, not only for sewing machine factories, but also for lots of used machines from garment factories in China. Of course those used machines will often be well-worn by the time they are decommissioned from a factory.

And perhaps it's like Kiwis in Australia. When I was visiting there, locals were complaining that you can't buy decent Kiwis in Australia, because they're exporting all the nice ones and only the scrappy ones show up in local markets.

I was talking to folks at http://www.tomsewing.com/ in Xiamen to explore getting my hands on some used Juki TSC-441 machines. Nothing came of it, so I can't rate them, but they seem to be a good source for used industrial sewing machines within a day's trip of Hong Kong.

I'd recommend getting a machine that Kwok Hing (http://www.kwokhing.com) makes parts for - they are located right in Hong Kong and they make really nice quality sewing machine accessories.

I thought so too, Uwe, but they do have customs between Hong Kong and mainland China, so I wasn't sure if I should get something from the mainland, especially when I can't be sure about the quality or aftercare. Your kiwi analogy is definitely spot on! haha

Both Kwok Hing and Tomsewing seem to be great finds! Thank you so much for your suggestions and I will reach out to these companies and see what I can do. Much appreciated.

Uwe, what's this Kiwi that we export and can't get here? :dunno: (Kiwi, btw, is a slang term for a new Zealander).

Dikman - I can send you a few if you want. Maybe we can trade for potatoes :lol:

@ Uwe - what we know as Kiwis originally came from China.

Edited by Constabulary

For the sort of work you are talking about a CW8 of Pfaff 335 type would probably suit but it would be best to give more information here first.

I can give you a direct contact at keestar or cowboy China depending on what you really need

For the sort of work you are talking about a CW8 of Pfaff 335 type would probably suit but it would be best to give more information here first.

I can give you a direct contact at keestar or cowboy China depending on what you really need

Hi Darren,

Thank you, that would be wonderful!

I will be making handbags and small leather goods such as wallets. I may also sew some leather garments as well. So I will be working with light to medium weight leather only at this time, nothing heavy duty like saddles or harnesses.

I would like a machine with a smooth feeding dog as to not mark the leather. As I am not experienced with machinery at all, something low maintenance, not requiring much adjustments from my part is desirable. Also for this reason I would like a dealer in Hong Kong so that they can come and set it up and provide aftercare. If you'd like to know anything more, please let me know. :)

By cw8, do you mean Seiko cw8-b? This is the only one that I could find... Googling "cw8 sewing machine" only gives me results for postcode CW8 in UK, haha.

Pfaff 335 looks lovely. I tried searching online but could only find a dealer for their domestic machines in Hong Kong... There was one model which said it could handle heavy fabrics and leather:

http://www.pfaff.com/en-US/Machines/select-4-2

It doesn't look like it could handle leather.... Could this be a viable option, though? (sorry for the dumb question)

I'm from Hong Kong as well, I'm just doing it as a hobby.

Have you tried asking some of the bigger diy leather supplies shops in Sham Shui Po? I know all of them do hand sewing, as I've never seen a sewing machine in those shops but perhaps they may know. Also, as you know, there are many sewing machine shops in that area (Sham Shui Po and Prince Edward). Perhaps they'll know as well, plus they can offer you support and service when you need it.

Edited by chiefroastbeef

I purchase this used  pfaff 335 clone, head only  from Tomsewing for 420 USD including shipping to Norway. Then got a 650w servo motor from aliexpress for 140 USD and works like a dream. 

No issues whatsoever with Tomsewing in mainland China. Good communication, paid with PayPal, and shipping by DHL, in wooden crate box. Tracking number provided of course. 

They have a enormous amount of different used and new sewing machines at very low prices. 

My main sewing machine is a durkopp adler 267-373 purchased in Norway, got some really good advice and help from @Thor   and I'm really happy with that sewing machine, but  had I known about tomsewing before I bought my very first sewing machine (a sailrite ultrafeed clone) I would have definitely purchased a "Tomsewing" machine from the get go..and  would have saved myself quite a bit cash along the way.. 

Screenshot_20200102_120122.jpg