Suicide

Hand Stitching With White Thread

Hi guys!

I have annoying problem with white color thread.

Stitch starts as white, then tend to change its color.

First I thought it is picking up a dye, but stitching latest project i had just plain natural veg tanned item and was ending up with grayish or completely grey thread after about 10-15 cm from each starting point.

I dunno.... Hands are clean, awl is clean and waxed periodically, wax is clean white.

Any tips how to keep white waxed thread WHITE while stitching? or it is not feasible in a real life?

Cheers!

Not saying this is an issue for you ... but I sweep up before hand stitching on runs long enough that the thread hits the floor. Otherwise, thread picks up enough flecks of who-knows-what to dull white thread a little. Even with the sweeping, the white never seems pristine by the time I'm done. In general, I doubt a client would notice, but they are paying for our obcessiveness, after all. Would love to hear how others handle this.

I switched to natural because it hides dirt better.

I hate white thread.

I see the same- Im guessing as its passed through the leather multiple times- it starts to pick up some of the dye, or even oils/waxes in the leather and starts to discolor. Switch to an off white and it will not be noticeable

RMR

thanks for all your feedback, guys!

Unfortunately switching to off white often is not an option because cutomer just want it white :(

All I can say it is not a dye residiques (coz I tried undyed leather), not hitting a floor with thread (usually I'm not using thread longer than 1,5-2 m). Actually such short pieces make things even worse - if stitching line is long enough you can see on the finished project set of intervals starting with pure white color and then became grey after some distance, then same starts over and over :(

I suspect it might be sort of chemicals they used for tanning a leather there.

I can not be sure however coz I always use the only the same leather comes from Tandy (can not say it has a great quality but it is easiest to get here), have not tried other manufacturers yet.

Cheers!

PM sent.

rick

Let us know if that other thread helps any.

Try using a bone awl as a test. The steel awl blade may be leaving metal in the stitch slot as it does when you polish it and then that transfers to the wax in the thread.

Try using a bone awl as a test. The steel awl blade may be leaving metal in the stitch slot as it does when you polish it and then that transfers to the wax in the thread.

Good catch! I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I feel your pain, there is a new trend in so called 'white thread' that is a polyester, and the white that you initially see is the wax they applied to the thread, but, when you start sewing, the wax comes off and leaves that bland looking polyester see through thread that does not give us that pop that the old white thread would do !!! 

I am currently in the hunt for some thread, my old thread came from Weaver Leather but when I recently bought some from them, it was NOT the same and I returned it, Tandy was the same and I tried a different place, same thing.  Today I got a roll of thread that kept it's white look but is pretty thin so not great but maybe passable until I locate a good source.

Here's a shot of a sheath I did a few years ago, the white really pops and makes great contrast

30996727046_b2583676c0_b.jpgsheath_cityknife by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

here is one with some thread that the 'white' rubbed off during sewing, you can see that the polyester is what is now showing, not near the pop, holds secure but doesn't have that nice contrast I need.

41461149594_0df6e0292a_c.jpgTribal Lock by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IF I can locate a good source, I'll leave info here if that is allowed.

G2

Edited by GaryWGraley

I see you are using white linen thread.

Try using Tandy's waxed white nylon thread, #1227 - 03, it is more resistant to discolouration; and a bit cheaper than linen.

Of course if you or your customer insist on linen you still have the same problem

Have you tried a white wax? Harness makers used to use a mixture containing white lead when doing fancy stitching. Nowadays we know how toxic white lead is, but powdered chalk or something similar mixed into melted beeswax would probably keep the thread white for longer.

I'm having the same problem, and that is using the Tandy waxed nylon thread. In some cases, I have hit the seam with a little saddle soap, and it sometimes cleans it up. I am so tempted to try hitting it with a cotton swab dipped in bleach.

It could be the thread you are using 

When I teach I always have the students stitch with white thread. This is so that they can see their mistakes 

it is rare that they get the thread dirty 

the thread we we use in the trade is a poly cotton core spun