dikman

211G166 Breaking Thread

I knew this machine worked, although I hadn't actually run any thread through it. All I did was set it up with a servo/speed reducer and made sure it could punch holes in leather (I've been too busy building and fitting out a shed for my machines, plus set it up for reloading ammo).

Anyhow, I have a couple of belts to make, so figured I'd better get the machines working. I loaded up the 211 with thread, picked up the bobbin thread, ran 1 stitch and the thread broke!! After a bit of messing around it looked like the hook was catching strands in the thread. So, I reset the needle bar height, but it still broke (it appeared to be breaking somewhere under the needle plate). The hook felt like it had a burr on it, so I smoothed it out with a diamond file. Still broke. I reset the timing and shifted the hook a bit closer to the needle. It seemed to stop catching the strands, but still broke. Closer inspection showed that the thread was being picked up and feeding around the bobbin case ok, but then I thought that the needle was piercing the thread as it went down (as some of you probably know, it's a bit hard to actually see exactly what's happening due to having to have some of the bits and pieces in place). The check spring was working ok, but then I thought it looked like the threads were twisting under the needle plate, but couldn't be sure. I'd been working through the manual, checking and adjusting anything that looked like it might have helped. After a few hours, I was stumped.

Eventually, I found the problem, but before I tell I'm curious whether anyone here can guess what it was.

I also threaded up my Pfaff 335, but that wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread! That required pulling quite a bit of stuff off the end to see just what the hook was doing. The adjustments didn't look too bad, but unless the thread had no tension at all it wouldn't grab it, so I reset the needle bar and shifted the hook a bit closer to the needle. That did it, and it now works fine. In fact, I reckon it sews better than the Singer, it just feels real nice to use (I think I'm going to like this machine, it was a bargain for what it cost me).

All in all, an interesting, if somewhat frustrating, day.

Edited by dikman

Are you holding back the thread when you start sewing? You may need to adjust the bobbin case opener. Lower thread coming of the bobbin from the left? Not correctly threaded? Thread braking may have several reasons...

Yesterday I was having the same problem with my sewing machine....After about half an hour,after checking and rechecking I've seen that the needle was incorrectly set,by mistake,facing the wrong way.After rotating it 180' the machine starts working as it should.So I think you've also set the needle in a faulty manner.

You're both close. I threaded the needle right-to-left, it should be left-to-right! Which is what it says in the manual, but of course I didn't read that bit I just looked at the picture!! I put it down to another "senior's moment", I just had it in my mind that's the way it should go. It looked like the hook/shuttle was picking up the thread correctly, but in reality it was putting a twist in the two threads (which I thought I saw but wasn't sure) under the needle plate, and twang!

While I feel dumb about it, on the positive side I now understand the machine much better and I know the adjustments are right.