dikman

Pfaff 335 Stitch Length Question

My 335 is one of the older type models, and technical information on them is rather scarce (other than what's been made available here). The meagre info I have says it can do 5 1/2 spi, but mine won't do less than 8 spi. Anyone know if there's an internal adjustment where I can get it to 5 or so?

Don´t know but I have a picture form a very old 145 parts list and maybe it can give you some hints. The adjuster mechanism should be the same

post-31854-0-00747900-1453620344_thumb.j

When I look at the picture, then there is a plate #9626 - any chance that your plate has a shorter slot or small metal pieces behind it that probably cuts the movement of the adjuster knob? I remember I have seen this modification on a Dürkopp 239 machine. I removed it and viola longer stitches!

BTW - alway helpful when you post pictures. ;)

Thanks Constabulary, that could be quite a help as I can't see inside to get a clear picture of what's connected to where. Mine already has full travel on the adjuster (9610). I see there is an adjustment screw, #64, that might have something to do with it (if I'm lucky), but first I have to figure out exactly how it changes the stitch length.

A photo -

post-63428-0-07292900-1453632465_thumb.j

Your machine is a dedicated binder machine so short stitches are not too unusual.

I would say maybe it is the mentioned plate - I´d probably remove it and see if the stitches become longer when you hand crank the machine w/o the plate. Also check your needle plate - maybe you will need one with a longer slot when you increase the stitch length. You know what I mean?

I have two list of Pfaff 335 sub classes maybe you can compare the tag on your machine with them to find out more.

335 H3 Subclass Old C.pdf

Pfaff 335 Subclass parts.pdf

Makes sense about the short stitches, being originally a binder. I've already removed the binder parts and replaced the feet and needle plate/feed dog to make it a "conventional" stitcher. It works well, except for the stitch length. I'm about to go out, armed with your first photo, and start poking around in the innards!

Ok, referring to your first picture -

the adjuster lever (9612) is already resting on part 9626 at the bottom of its travel. No plate holding it back.

the screw (64) isn't an adjuster, it secures the adjuster lever to part 9606.

by carefully grinding the front plate (9626) at the bottom, I managed to lower the adjuster lever just enough to give me 6 spi.

Part #9633 is an eccentric that fits on the main shaft, and is held on by two screws at the back. Its position affects the spi. By loosening the screws and shifting it around I can change the spi, but I can't get any better than 6spi.

I'm still trying to figure out how moving the lever changes the spi :dunno: .

Hi,

4 mm (6 spi) was the original maximum stitchlength of this generation of Pfaff walking foot machines. 4,5 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm and 10 mm were different subclasses which would be designated by a letter on the brassplate like M or N. My Pfaff 145 from the same vintage with no extra letter just does 4 mm, after some careful adjustment it does 5 mm.

Greets

Ralf C.

but I can't get any better than 6spi.

Thanks Ralf, I would say that there has to be an adjustment inside somewhere, I just don't see them making separate components for each machine to get the stitch length. Mine, by the way, is labelled 335-17B and underneath that is L (no idea what L means).

I've just had a closer look (again) and the only adjustment that I can see anywhere is that eccentric (part #9633). I'm beginning to wonder if they do, in fact, make different size eccentrics to fit on the main shaft to give different stitch lengths. Constabulary/Ralf, what does "vollstg" (part #9636) translate as? Assembly?

Edited by dikman

Thanks Ralf, I would say that there has to be an adjustment inside somewhere, I just don't see them making separate components for each machine to get the stitch length. Mine, by the way, is labelled 335-17B and underneath that is L (no idea what L means).

I've just had a closer look (again) and the only adjustment that I can see anywhere is that eccentric (part #9633). I'm beginning to wonder if they do, in fact, make different size eccentrics to fit on the main shaft to give different stitch lengths. Constabulary/Ralf, what does "vollstg" (part #9636) translate as? Assembly?

Hi,

vollstg appears to be short for vollständig meaning complete. And L, (tadaaa, tadaaa, tadaaa!) , is for Leder (Leather). B is for medium heavy stuff. The nomenclature was A, B, C, D - with A being for light material, B for medium material, B/C for medium heavy material, C for heavy material and D for ultra heavy material. Practical differences were diameter of stitchholes, diameter of machine pulley and strength of pressure foot spring. Differences in pressure foot lift would have been H1, H2 (7 mm), H3 (11 mm) and H4 (14 mm). S ( for Stoff (fabric) and L may have been the difference of soft or sharp pressure feet.

To the best of my knowledge Pfaff have never openly specified what light or heavy material ment.

All of that can have been swapped out or readjusted, of course.

Greets

Ralf C.

Edited by Kohlrausch

Hi,

here http://www.occaphot-ch.com/bernina-startseite/industrie-masch/ you can find a downloadable scan of the German sewingmachine mechanics book "Der Nähmaschinenfachmann". Vol 2 (Band 2) describes the old Pfaff 335, starting at page 108. It's German, but at least there is a drawing of the stitchlength mechanism.

HTH

Greets

Ralf C.

Edited by Kohlrausch

Those german manuals are pretty cool. In Volume 2, on pdf page 80 i found a scale diagram chart of all the needle systems, I have never seen this. A scale visual representation of needle systems could be pretty useful for finding needles for these old machines.

I wish I read german..

Thanks Ralf, even if I can't read the words, there's some great drawings in there. I'll have a closer look later. "Complete" makes sense, as part 9636 would then include the eccentric that fits over the main shaft and the outer race that it rotates in. I can see where slightly different sizes could then vary the max/min stitch lengths available.

Which means I'm stuck with a minimum of 6 spi, but it's workable.

On 26.1.2016 at 2:57 PM, Kohlrausch said:

Hi,

here http://www.occaphot-ch.com/bernina-startseite/industrie-masch/ you can find a downloadable scan of the German sewingmachine mechanics book "Der Nähmaschinenfachmann". Vol 2 (Band 2) describes the old Pfaff 335, starting at page 108. It's German, but at least there is a drawing of the stitchlength mechanism.

HTH

Greets

Ralf C.

Hi,

Eddy occasionally reorganizes his homepage. Der Nähmaschinenfachmann now can be found at https://www.occaphot-ch.com/bernina-original-service-manuals/

Greets

Ralf C.