Was hoping someone could help me with either how you cover and have the stitching on the inside or what time of leather to use that will stretch and not have to stitch it at all.

Hard to describe in detail in words. What kind of tree? How wide? What style of saddle? Lots of variables. Are you using a book or video to make your saddle? Maybe you are an experienced saddlemaker wanting to learn a new technique... I'm happy to help you but need more information.

Keith

It's a reining saddle. I have been getting help from a friend up the road but wanted to try a different way. This is my first saddle. Have stohlman books

For your first saddle a blind stitch will be easier than trying to sweat on a one piece without welts. Stohlman covers it fairly well in his second volume page 278-295. This describes the method for lacing. The blind stitch is very similar. Instead of punching holes for lace, you would punch holes with an awl diagonally thru the edge of the swell cover. Make your stitch line about 5/16" from the edge and holes about 5/16" apart. The hold should come out the edge just below the grain. With the swell cover inside out, butt the edges together and begin stitching thru the holes at the top and work your way down, lining up each side one hole at at time. Use a long piece of waxed thread with a needle on each end and run both needles thru each hole, one from each side, and X the thread between holes.

Do not fit the swell cover too tight! It is important to allow extra size to facilitate installing the cover over the swell once stitched, and also to allow for shrinkage. If too tight, when it dries, the stitching will show. Don't worry about being a bit too loose, as it is fairly easy to absorb the slack around the bottom of the swell.

Hope this helps.

Keith