charlescrawford

Stohlman Maul Issue

So I have had my al stohlman 2# maul for a couple years. The issue I am having is the metal collar between the handle and the poly head seems to be getting loose because as I work it rattles or rotates and its really annoying. any ideas on how to fix this? Can't really afford to buy a new one right now.

Have you considered Locktite?

I have to be able to get to it to lock tite it and that's one of the big obstacles

The problem probably is that the leather handle lost moisture and reduced a bit in size. First thing I would do is to open the nut at the end of the handle or check if that has come undone a bit over the years. Half a turn would probably be enough to give it some play and make your collar rattle. If the moisture content is the issue, than adding some oil might do the trick for you. If you unscrew the nut measure the how far the rod stands out from the leather handle and measure how much room you have in your nut. If that's the problem you can grind off some of the rod and re-tighten the nut.

May not be correct, but that's the first things I would look into.

The problem probably is that the leather handle lost moisture and reduced a bit in size. First thing I would do is to open the nut at the end of the handle or check if that has come undone a bit over the years. Half a turn would probably be enough to give it some play and make your collar rattle. If the moisture content is the issue, than adding some oil might do the trick for you. If you unscrew the nut measure the how far the rod stands out from the leather handle and measure how much room you have in your nut. If that's the problem you can grind off some of the rod and re-tighten the nut.

May not be correct, but that's the first things I would look into.

Thanks Thor! The nut was still tight. I will try adding some oil to the leather handle. I know there is a fair amount of play side to side in that ring.

Can you add another layer of leather to the stack? With stacked leather bicycle grips, i install them a little loose, case them and have the rider squish them to his hand shape, and i let them dry. I will seal them after this. May not work here, but it may. It depends how sealed the stacked leather is